NGD!

What's Hot
GazLionGazLion Frets: 104
I saw this Gibson 335 on the Andertons site the other day, and although I don't like buying online, it was a good price so I decided to take the risk knowing that I could return if there were any issues. Well....its an amazing sounding guitar! It's been a while since I've had a Gibson, about 10 years in fact, and I'm not sure why I've stayed away from them for so long. 

Crappy phone pics I hear you say? OK why not! 

One thing I must add - the guitar is nice, but the Andertons setup is a joke. In fact I'm sure they haven't touched it, I'd guess this is how it comes straight from Gibson! And of course, I don't have the Gibson size truss rod tool. Doh!  
0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    A truss rod wrench is included with every new Gibson. Anderton's must have it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BradBrad Frets: 662
    edited June 2015
    Lovely! Get a good set up and possibly a new nut (Corian was used on my 339...) and you'll be onto a winner no doubt :-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • breadfanbreadfan Frets: 379
    Lovely, congrats! 

The finish looks solid - what model is it? Is there any wood grain peeking through?

I'd love a 335 but I haven't found one I get on with.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4264
    Congrats man, just got a new 335 recently as well, should really do a NGD and pic's myself. Can't beat a good 335.

Any 8mm socket will do the truss rod. Is the relief really miles out on it?

Make sure you can get it setup the way you want asap, i.e. before the distance selling rights expire. Just never know, some guitars won't get where you want them to be.
  • GazLionGazLion Frets: 104
    Ah, didn't know that. I'll get on to them. All it came with was the certificate of authenticity, and a warranty card. Anything else missing? 
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2565
    Very very nice. Enjoy :)
    breadfan said:
    Lovely, congrats! 

The finish looks solid - what model is it? Is there any wood grain peeking through?

I'd love a 335 but I haven't found one I get on with.
    Yeah its actually got quite a nice subtle bit of grain visible all across the top. I'll try get some better photos up soon. The flame tops aren't really for me. 

CloudNine said:
    Congrats man, just got a new 335 recently as well, should really do a NGD and pic's myself. Can't beat a good 335.

Any 8mm socket will do the truss rod. Is the relief really miles out on it?

Make sure you can get it setup the way you want asap, i.e. before the distance selling rights expire. Just never know, some guitars won't get where you want them to be.
    Cheers. On the setup front it just so happens that I'm taking my acoustic in for some work at my local luthiers tomorrow, so I'm going to take this along as well for him to have look at. The relief isn't miles out but then neck does needs straightening out a bit. The intonation was spot on! 
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    That's a lovely guitar, great NGD
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    335 Gas level 100. Jelly.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    Judging by all those recipe books you obviously enjoy your food.
    Nice guitar.
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2169
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    The Ba$tards (Andertons) didn't give one with mine either come to think of it... And yes, their tech is a miserable moaning minnie, who scoffs at every request you make for your setup...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Re the truss rod size, it's 5/16".
    I've just had a response back from Andertons, in case anyone is interested - 

Thanks for getting in touch. Gibson guitars made in Memphis do not come with the truss rod key unlike the Standard Gibson USA range. So anything like an ES-335, ES-339, Les Paul Custom will not come with the key, only the certificate of authenticity (We have just unboxed 6 of them to make sure!). Any other Gibson guitar which is not built in that factory, will come with the Allen Key.

If they aren't supplied, thats fair enough! 

@Sassafras yup, thats the recipe book shelf! 
  • rocktronrocktron Frets: 806
    edited June 2015
    Lovely!!!

I tried an almost identical Epi 335 Dot version years ago (2001 IIRC), in a guitar store named The Flying Pig, located in West Ealing, on the basis of an excellent comparison review of 335 type guitars. It came out on top, and was rated highly. 

Don't laugh, but the thing which put me off the guitar was that it had a horrible smell!!! I bought an Epi LP in Heritage Cherry Sunburst instead.