This has got to be a rip off???

What's Hot

Comments

• randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited October 2013
    A few factors I notice about this.  Firstly it does not say 'BJF Designs' on it and secondly the DC socket is on the opposite side to a genuine DBD, and lastly every bit of font is either slightly the wrong style of the wrong size.  Also the LED is different as are the jack sockets. It's definitely not a bonafide DBD.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    I've seen these before, its a fake. I can't speculate as to whether its a clone inside but I wouldn't have high hopes as to the build quality.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • They have a load of stuff on there that looks like the originals! 
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13577
    "comes with chinese and english manuals"

is that a clue perhaps ?
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FazerFazer Frets: 468
    they've "accidentally" put up the wrong photos for as long as they can get away with
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4316
    C'mon, its on DealExtreme, you didn't expect the genuine article did you?
  • I had never heard of deal extreme, obviously it's one to avoid like the plague!
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5010
    I had never heard of deal extreme, obviously it's one to avoid like the plague!
    Price seems reasonable.  If it is not the 'genuine article', does that really matter if it works?  And give you the sound you want?  If in doubt about your needing a particular pedal, but a cheap clone and see if it is what you need.  Then upgrade to the 'real thing'. :)
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• dindudedindude Frets: 8565
    Rocker said:
    Price seems reasonable.  If it is not the 'genuine article', does that really matter if it works?  And give you the sound you want?  If in doubt about your needing a particular pedal, but a cheap clone and see if it is what you need.  Then upgrade to the 'real thing'. :)
    I doubt it would an accurate clone. If they have the morals to rip of a brands image lock stock, do you think they give a damn about what's in it? It will be a generic cheap delay in an outward case designed to deceive.
  • breadfanbreadfan Frets: 379
    edited October 2013
    An old flatmate used to buy a lot of gadget type things off them; he said many products were DOA but their customer service was excellent & that they issued credit notes for any faulty items.

I bought a couple of things myself once - the quality was similar to what you'd find in a pound shop. 
    I remember the shipping was free but it took about a month and a half.
    I wouldn't buy that pedal!

• swlabrswlabr Frets: 29
    Mentioned this to Mad Professor in one of my emails. They told me they were aware of them and pointed the differences already stated here and that the box had nothing to do with theirs. They did not seemed very worried about them.

These are funnier:

• Looking at the Mogoo OCD I can only assume Mike Fuller doesn't have agents in China.  I know of one UK based builder who dared clone the famous clone that Mike Fuller 'invented' which was a clone of a pedal that Voodoo Labs could have been making......sorry, the low key nodding and winking meant that sentence was getting away from me.  Anyway, he sent him a nice message informing him that he would have him shut down in a Tony Soprano type way.  However like America itself his powers seem to fade when crossing communist borders.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • horsehorse Frets: 1593
    If you order something from dx.com and when it arrives it is an obvious fake I'd have thought that you'd be covered by paypal. In the case of their mad professor pedals I reckon they are so cheap that they couldn't be genuine and anyone would be 'mad' to hope the genuine article would be delivered.

I bought a joyo from them with no problems and it arrived in a couple of weeks - although it was a very low price it is more likely to be a 'genuine clone' as they're cheap to start with. I wonder whether the Mad Professor fakes they have would be similar quality to the joyos etc, although there is a bigger ethical question if they are presented as the real deal in terms of selling on in the future etc.
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader

It'll be interesting to see what happens when a Chinese brand becomes a respected innovator and manufacturer of products, such that the brand name itself becomes a selling point. presumably, some other Chinese (or Chinese financed Indonesian?) factory will start knocking out clones of whatever it is.

I wonder if the Chinese will then start taking counterfeiting more seriously?

People in this country don't seem to give a toss that when they buy these things, thinking only of saving a few quid, it's a BAD THING.

I'm amazed by how many fake Gibsons there are on Gumtree and Ebay. :(

• martinw;66162" said:
    It'll be interesting to see what happens when a Chinese brand becomes a respected innovator and manufacturer of products, such that the brand name itself becomes a selling point. presumably, some other Chinese (or Chinese financed Indonesian?) factory will start knocking out clones of whatever it is.I wonder if the Chinese will then start taking counterfeiting more seriously?People in this country don't seem to give a toss that when they buy these things, thinking only of saving a few quid, it's a BAD THING.I'm amazed by how many fake Gibsons there are on Gumtree and Ebay. :(
    martinw;66162" said:
    It'll be interesting to see what happens when a Chinese brand becomes a respected innovator and manufacturer of products, such that the brand name itself becomes a selling point. presumably, some other Chinese (or Chinese financed Indonesian?) factory will start knocking out clones of whatever it is.I wonder if the Chinese will then start taking counterfeiting more seriously?People in this country don't seem to give a toss that when they buy these things, thinking only of saving a few quid, it's a BAD THING.I'm amazed by how many fake Gibsons there are on Gumtree and Ebay. :(
    From the delay and looper pedals that Joyo have released, it looks like things will start going that way. The delay looks great!

Counterfeiting in China is a hard situation to look at. I saw a show where a panel of experts compared Chinese counterfeit handbags to original designer ones from Europe and in half the cases, the Chinese one was identified as genuine, not because they were both great, but because the hand made in a back alley in China one was significantly better. So if that happens (when?), would buying from China be for pennies, or for a higher quality good?

I think it won't be long before they are doing original designs. Or as original a your average boutique builder over here (let's face it, many of those are, ahem, heavily inspired by older circuits, though not always). But when they are doing original designs, if we love them, will boutique builders copy them?
  • MosfedMosfed Frets: 25
    Total scam
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72937
    martinw said:

It'll be interesting to see what happens when a Chinese brand becomes a respected innovator and manufacturer of products, such that the brand name itself becomes a selling point. presumably, some other Chinese (or Chinese financed Indonesian?) factory will start knocking out clones of whatever it is.

It's already happened if you substitute 'Japanese brand' for Chinese. The Japanese were copyists long before the Chinese. (OK, in the very first place companies like Tokai produced original designs, but they made their reputation with copies.)

I think it won't be long before they are doing original designs. Or as original a your average boutique builder over here (let's face it, many of those are, ahem, heavily inspired by older circuits, though not always). But when they are doing original designs, if we love them, will boutique builders copy them?
    Considering a lot of boutique pedals are knock-offs of Boss and Ibanez circuits, yes.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    martinw said:

It's already happened if you substitute 'Japanese brand' for Chinese. The Japanese were copyists long before the Chinese.

The Japanese were copyists, not counterfeiters. That's what I'm talking about.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17854
    tFB Trader
    Quite a few of the direct from China sites have dodgy fakes (not just clones but actual fakes). Deep Blue, Crunchbox and Xotic pedals seem the most common. None of them would fool anyone with a passing familiarity with the originals 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72937
    martinw said:
    The Japanese were copyists, not counterfeiters. That's what I'm talking about.
    Yes, they did at least avoid actual faking. You did say 'clones' though, and in terms of how it tends to be defined in guitar-speak, the Tokai, Fernandes etc "copies" are certainly clones… maybe even closer than that, they were trying to be identical apart from the logo.

I still think it's too fine a line, and I don't like them - although I have to admit they did the world a favour in the end by making Fender and Gibson up their game.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein