This has got to be a rip off???

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    edited October 2013 tFB Trader

I only mentioned clones (probably the wrong word!) in respect of what might happen if the Chinese do have a name brand that is worth faking (cloning).

I'm concerned about counterfeit goods, which is different. Either there will be Chinese fakes available of a Chinese brand, or perhaps the Chinese government will take action?

There's a difference between buying goods which are copies (like Joyo pedals, Tokai guitars etc) to buying fake Gibsons and these pedals as in the link. Not saying that close copies aren't a separate  issue, but counterfeiting is purely criminal.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72709
    Agreed.

Although one of the problems I have with Tokais etc is that they can get the wrong logo put on by unscrupulous people after sale… and I do think that a big part of their success was that they were so close to the real thing visually.

Joyo pedals are a different issue, they don't look like the pedals they're copied from at all, and aren't technically even trademark infringements since you can't protect the actual circuit itself.

Frankly I'm not particulary keen on any of them.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:

Frankly I'm not particulary keen on any of them.

Me either!
  • I do think that the Japanese era of copying was along the same lines. Pedals like this aren't any more actual 'fakes' than Tokais et al.  The ad doesn't ever call it a BJF pedal, just as the Japanese avoided trademarked words.  When the Japanese factories were putting out strats and Les Paul the copying of minute details and non-essential design elements such as headstocks pushed copying as far as they legally could - which is what this company are doing.  I wonder how many bands would have purchased Tokai Stratocasters or Les Pauls if it was totally obvious to onlookers from twenty feet that it wasn't the real deal.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PyromanPyroman Frets: 58
      I think this whole copy vs fake vs real deal thing is a bit ridiculous.  From the standpoint of I don't give shit if "some guy" out in the crowd sees that my guitar is not ( insert any famous brand name).  I honestly don't care what they think of my choice of instruments as long as I like it, and it sounds good.  I'm not there to advertise anybody's factory...

I do agree that out and out counterfeits are just plain wrong.  Also anyone knowingly passing off a fake as the real thing is a thief, a tosser, and a git.  At least have the courtesy to put your own name on it.
  • horsehorse Frets: 1588
    Pyroman said:
    a tosser, and a git.
    @pyroman - I thought you were american for some reason, but those seem like very british terms?
  • PyromanPyroman Frets: 58
      I am- I just pick up expressions that I like.  You lot just have a way of saying things!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom