EMGs or Evolutions?

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
I want to kit a guitar with Humbuckers that give massive singing sustain. I'm thinking either EMGs or Evolutions. Any thoughts on either of them, or indeed other candidates?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I've had evo's and foudn they sound great in the right guitar but could be cutting,  I'd go for emg's if sustain is needed.   I like the 57/66 set - a little closer to a regular hb than the typical emg sound. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

I chopped EMG's out of my ESP, couldn't get a great sound from them.

I'd go with a high(ish) output alnico5 magnet for the bridge pickup, and the same with either alnico5 or ceramic magnets for the neck.

I have ceramics in the neck of a couple of guitars, they sound awesomes.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261

Evo's are great for riffing but can get shrill when you solo.. this seems to be a pretty common thing for pups with ceramic magnets..

I'd go for a Breed.. it's not quite as hot or bright as the Evo so it's better for soloing, but will still riff like a beast...

personally thought... go for a Bulldog Extremist.. it's similarly voiced to the Breed, but a little hotter, brighter and a lot tighter.. my V6's have the Extremist fitted with AlNiCo5 magnets.. which for me covers all bases.. Bulldog can fit the Extremist with a ceramic magnet, but as with the Evo, I personally found the soloing to be a little shrill.. but if you're a riff only man... an ceramic fitted Extremist will kick the Evo's ass... cos it's so much tighter..

play every note as if it were your first
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2360
    ^ Yeah I was gonna say the evos are maybe a bit scooped, and I'd have said something middier might be more useful for sustain, plus as you said ceramic often (not always) can result in a bit of a shrill type of sound.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited June 2015
    Super 3 + Super 2.

Or D-Activators?
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    EMG 57/66 set as already mentioned.
    I really rather like the 60 in the neck of my Mockingbird though, excellent for shreddy stuff :) 
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    My vote goes to Seymour Duncan Blackouts (AHB-1). I have owned EMG 81, 85, 60s and Het Sets, and the Blackouts sound bigger and better than all of them.
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    I've not tried the full blackouts, but I played an 8 string set of DUncan Designed actives. 
    Now they WERE killer for the price. Really liked them compared to the EMG 808's. 

'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
  • MikeBMikeB Frets: 176
    Had a Jem 70v with Evos in. Neck was great but found the bridge needed careful eq to avoid it becoming too harsh. Cut well in a mix though.

I nearly swapped the bridge for a gravity storm but sold the guitar before I got around to it.
  • FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    MikeB said:
    Had a Jem 70v with Evos in. Neck was great but found the bridge needed careful eq to avoid it becoming too harsh. Cut well in a mix though.

I nearly swapped the bridge for a gravity storm but sold the guitar before I got around to it.
    Yeah, my feelings exactly about the Jem I had - Neck Evo was awesome, absolutely loved it, but the bridge could be rather on the harsh side.  Certainly cut through the mix, though.
    -- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    I'm a fan of the Evos. They do their thing very well IMO