DIY headstock repair... Now NGD!

What's Hot
cm01cm01 Frets: 477
edited July 2015 in Guitar
Ok, so this happened earlier (in transit)... Am I right in thinking that it's potentially a straightforward repair I could do myself with titebond and some clamps or am I totally deluded and it needs to go to a luthier?imageimageimage
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33891
    Need to see pics.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • cm01cm01 Frets: 477
    Photobucket was playing up... can post more if needed - it looks a pretty clean break to my uneducated eyes... but I might well be wrong!
    Nasty one.
    How well do the two pieces mate together?

I see you still have strings on it- I assume there is no tension on them at all?
    If not, make sure you do that.
    This was how it arrived - I'm assuming the fact that the seller didn't slacken the strings off was the main factor in the break (insurance claim already underway!)... I took the tension off and the two pieces mate together really well
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7180
    Never done one myself, however I'd go for it. 

Not a splintered break and lots of surface area to apply Titebond and looks easy to clamp that type of break.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72915
    I would take that to a luthier and have a full splinted repair done. It is a fairly clean break, but you've been unlucky and got one where both the grain direction is slightly the wrong way at that critical point, and the truss rod access is unusually deep leaving almost no thickness of wood behind it. There's really not a lot of strength in it and a simple glued repair probably won't be strong enough to guarantee it won't break again in the same place.

It does produce an uglier result unless you put a dark finish over it, but given that it's a natural finish it isn't going to look too pretty even with a simple glued repair unless you have a shaded patch put over there.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited June 2015
    You can give it a go, obviously you will need to live with the visible join, and you have to consider the finish.

I assume you don't want to send it back?
    Use Titebond glue.
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    I'd send it back and let the seller deal with it tbh
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    Hmmm... I really like the guitar (not having played it yet!) so ideally want to keep it (will post some full pics when it's repaired)... it does seem a nasty break upon closer inspection - the headstock is still hanging on at the moment - it's being held on by headstock overlay (it's a Tokai that's been rebadged) and the tuners.  The 2 pieces do fit together really well but if it's likely to go again without a splinted repair then that sounds the way to go... I quite like the Stinger look so I could go for that... some more pics:

imageimageimageimage
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2015
    I'd send it back and let the seller deal with it tbh
    I think I would as well. Just looking at the way it's shattered like that, it was never a good neck and it never will be. It could easily have happened purely from the string tension, if it was dropped face first. Some Gibson necks are *much* stronger than others… this was not one of them.

Edit: didn't realise it wasn't a Gibson. I was also looking on a phone earlier… although it wasn't that obvious.

What happened to the little triangle of missing wood?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I was looking on an iPhone earlier- that is nastier that it first appeared.
    I would also send it back.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ftumchftumch Frets: 692
    I feel for you, I've just had the same thing happen to me. However mines on the way to the shop for repair, if I had the option I'd send it back no question.
    I'm going to weigh up my options - theoretically if I was to keep it what's the ballpark figure for a splinted repair?
    @ICBM the little triangle of wood is nowhere to be found! It looks like there's a piece missing inside the truss rod cavity as well but that's where the headstock needs to come off and be re-seated to fit over it
    £100-200 depending on how much time it takes and whether you want a partial respray or not.
    cm01 said:
    @ICBM the little triangle of wood is nowhere to be found! It looks like there's a piece missing inside the truss rod cavity as well but that's where the headstock needs to come off and be re-seated to fit over it
    If you actually mean it's genuinely nowhere to be found, you've been scammed and it was broken before it went in the case. Or someone opened the case in transit and broke the guitar…

I actually can believe this happens, there have been a few times I have seen damage that could not possibly have happened inside a closed case.

• BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    Send it back
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    That did cross my mind - I can see it going back - will double check the case now
  • JohnBJohnB Frets: 121
    I would get the machines off and clamp it up - if it looks really smoothly joined you could do it yourself.  I would be inclined to get a pro to do it. Don't know why Gibson don't scarf the joint if they don't want a volute to strengthen that area.
  • FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    Well, look on the bright side - at least it's an even more authentic Gibson replica now. :D
    -- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom