Fender 10 for '15 range

What's Hot
ElwoodElwood Frets: 455
Has anybody on here ventured into the new Fender 10 for 2015 series: bought one or tried one?

They're not new but a few of them have been released now so how are you owners getting on?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    I haven't owned any, but I like the look of 07 and 10.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • XWulfhereXWulfhere Frets: 416
    You've got to hand it to Fender, they know how to have fun and innovate their classic designs and keep them interesting while still being able to deliver tradition. I was never really a fan until the last year or so, but I love 'em now :-)
    And you know what else? Those safety lids on bottles of sanatogen. There I am trying to get the lid off and along comes my six year old and says "there you are daddy" and it's off in a Jiffy. Someone's gonna get hurt.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LescasterLescaster Frets: 107
    I bought the blackout one with the ebony board a few weeks ago. Very well made guitar. I also bought the redwood strat a week later and that has really put me in the mood for buying the surfboard one later in the year.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ElwoodElwood Frets: 455
    I like 2, 3 and and 7.

Two and Seven for the slight change of woods on the classic Fender design and Three is interesting. The white and black work well and and the block inlays work with the shape of the buckers. A positive take on a classic.

I'm supprised the DC Tele hasn't cause the internet to melt down!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Lescaster;669162" said:
    I bought the blackout one with the ebony board a few weeks ago. Very well made guitar. I also bought the redwood strat a week later and that has really put me in the mood for buying the surfboard one later in the year.
    Cough *pictures or it didn't happen* cough
    Elwood;669171" said:
    [quote="Lescaster;669162"]I bought the blackout one with the ebony board a few weeks ago. Very well made guitar. I also bought the redwood strat a week later and that has really put me in the mood for buying the surfboard one later in the year.
    Cough *pictures or it didn't happen* cough
    [/quote]

Really?

Lescaster;669174" said:

Really?

It's ment in jest, allows those of us without to live vicariously and share in the enjoyment of your guitars. :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Fair play to them for trying the double cut Tele, but, no. Just no.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    I've played a couple of examples of the hardtail Strat... it was ok, a bit meh really. Neck was too thin.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • monofinmonofin Frets: 1118
    Lescaster;669162" said:
    @lescaster . Would love to hear your thoughts in the blackout one - the ebony board on a strat sounds really interesting
  • tbmtbm Frets: 585
    5! I always kinda liked the look of the TC90 so the double cut would interest me.

Noise, randomness, ballistic uncertainty.
    edited June 2015
    Here are some pics of number 2, the blackout. I love the feel of the neck and the board. The neck is finished in a very fine wipe of finish. If you like the feel of a non-gloss maple board you will love the feel of the Ebony board. The mystic black is a great paint too, very difficult to photo though. There are lots of tiny little sparkles in the paint.

imageimageimageimageimage

Here's the fretboard on an ESP Horizon for comparison.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monofinmonofin Frets: 1118
    @lescaster - thanks, looks lovely. I fell gas coming on
    No probs mate. They are well made Strats.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6936
    The blackout looks nice but should have a black painted headstock FTW.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23578
    Bucket said:
    I've played a couple of examples of the hardtail Strat... it was ok, a bit meh really. Neck was too thin.
    I love hardtail Strats and I'm always hoping they'll do a '70s reissue.  

This one is cool but many of the features aren't even close to '70s-correct - alder body, 22 frets, modern tuners, no bullet truss rod adjuster, 4-bolt neck... I don't really know why they even gave it the "'70s" tag.

Despite all that, I still think it's cool so I bought a "loaded" body from the Stratosphere and I'm going to put a Pawn Shop '70s neck on it - which still has 22 frets but at least it also has the '70s tuners and bullet truss rod.

edited June 2015
    I guess the 70s thing refers to the headstock rather than it being an AVRI.

The point of this seems to be to create something slightly different. Possibly even a more functional instrument.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23578
    edited June 2015
    Elwood said:
    I guess the 70s thing refers to the headstock rather than it being an AVRI.

The point of this seems to be to create something slightly different. Possibly even a more functional instrument.

Oh yeah, I don't disagree.  

But even Fender seem confused, initially it was being reported as part of the AVRI range (and was reviewed as such in Guitarist #391), now they seem to be just listing it as a Special Edition (although the model name includes "Limited", not "Special").  They're even pretty vague about whether or not it's a USA model - I think it is, but it doesn't actually say so anywhere. 

(Finding anything on Fender's website is a bloody chore, I have to say.)  

I think it would've been more at home in the Classic Player range, really.

They are USA models. The blackout I have is basically a modded 2015 standard.
    I had a look at a HH Telecaster. Fit and finish is very nice, the satin neck does exactly what it says on the tin and the fret work is great. The new case is also pretty cool, better built that the old Fender cases and quite light.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom