How much is my Fender Tele worth?

What's Hot
I have one of these. From what I can tell it is discontinued hence I'm struggling to value it. I know they were £800 new when you could buy them

Not really looking to sell or trade but always good to know incase I decide to!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33958
    60% of the new price is usually the best you will get on a used guitar.
    Usually though it is closer to 40-50%.
    Check on eBay completed listings.

• octatonic said:
    60% of the new price is usually the best you will get on a used guitar.
    Usually though it is closer to 40-50%.
    Check on eBay completed listings.

tried that. only found one guitar close enough to this to gauge it and it wasn't the same... If it's worth less than 500-600 then it's a keeper for sure but you just never know with guitars do you!
    edited June 2015
    The problem is there is a massive oversupply of instruments.
    It has been a buyers market, especially for something like a Mex Fender, for a long time and it won't change any time soon.

£500 is going to be an ask.
    We have US strats going for that- there is one that isn't selling in the classifieds here right now.

You are always going to lose money if buying new- there is no getting round it.
    I find buying used and never selling anything is the best response. ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonic said:
    The problem is there is a massive oversupply of instruments.
    It has been a buyers market, especially for something like a Mex Fender, for a long time and it won't change any time soon.

£500 is going to be an ask.
    We have US strats going for that- there is one that isn't selling in the classifieds here right now.

You are always going to lose money if buying new- there is no getting round it.
    I find buying used and never selling anything is the best response. ;)

I'm too far into the guitar gear buying thing to buy new don't worry haha! Will reserve that for those times when you just can't be patient any longer for something less common to pop up on ebay etc. I just know what the guy I bought it off paid for it. I actually swapped it for my old Deville (which are notoriously cheap on the second hand market). Plays beautiful and definitely not looking to really trade/sell it right now.

I appreciate the help
    No wuckas. :)
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    I've made the odd small profit on used gear. But that was usually down to either the exchange rate increasing the new retail or something becoming desirable.

I have nearly doubled my money on a classic camera. But that was just luck.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73030
    Shops will usually ask about 2/3 of the original new price, privately you'll get more like half. With discontinued stuff it can be difficult - if it's perceived as desirable, sometimes it goes up in value quite a bit, although not usually to above the original new price on anything modern.

I would expect the shop I work for to price one of these at about £599, and that you'd probably find it hard to get over £500 privately, but it is a very cool thing and if there isn't a direct new equivalent you might be able to get a little more to someone who really wants that exact model.

But I think that means keep it if you value it to yourself at £500-600.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Thanks fellas. I agree I think 500 is reasonable! It's definitely a keeper at it's value. Probably why I had to buy it because at the price I've never played anything as nice