Wall hangers

What's Hot
RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
Man cave is coming along nicely.  I bought a job lot of Hercules wall hangers and would like to use them. House is timber framed with dry lining. The guitars would be hung on an exterior wall and a stud wall.  I paid for the builder to reinforce two walls with plyboard behind the dry lining. However I have drilled a couple of pilot holes and I reckon they have just put  a double thickness of dry lining.

So what should I use to fix the hangers to the wall?  Should I locate the timber frame and drill into that with 2x4 to be safe?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GruGru Frets: 339
    http://www.neweysonline.co.uk/neweys/pdf/Rawlplug_Specification_Technical.pdf

I have used Rawl Plugs for a lot of heavy items around the house. Most going into a single plasterboard layer.

My current Acoustic is hung using them and from the sheet attached, even on the thinnest 9.5mm plaster board good for 10kg weight baring.

When you think of the force that would be needed to pull the top raw plug out of a wall on a short arm Hercules bracket, I would imagine they should be fine.

As with anything DIY, it's about the quality of holes drilled and use of the correct size screws. A drilled hole that is too big with a screw that is below the recommended, could cause a problem.
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    Cheers @Gru. So a bog standard red rawl will take 10kg in 12.5mm plasterboard? What have I been worrying about!

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    I like to fix the hangers to a wooden batten and then fix the batten to the wall. Actually, I fix the batten securely to the wall first and then cover the holes with the hangers. No flies on me see.
  • Plasterboard is either as mentioned with a batten into the wood frame of the stud wall or I cannot recommend these enough http://www.wickes.co.uk/gripit I've got guitars including Les Paul's (Heavy) hung with them, absolutely fantastic product. You only need the yellow ones for guitar weight. I mentioned them in another thread on here of a similar vein. 1 or 2 people were unsure (as we always are with thing we haven't tried). All I can say is I've used them loads, they're solid and dead easy to fit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Oh and it's Hercules hangers I've used with them
  • GuitarZeroGuitarZero Frets: 254
    edited June 2015
    I use these on an outside wall.  Most outside walls the plasterboard is dot and dab fixed so there aren't any batons.

They go straight through the plasterboard and fix into the breeze block behind.

On an inside wall I find the baton and fix to that.
  • markslade07markslade07 Frets: 836
    No More Nails holds everything. It says so on the tube.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GruGru Frets: 339
    RMJ;669195" said:
    Cheers @Gru. So a bog standard red rawl will take 10kg in 12.5mm plasterboard? What have I been worrying about!
    According to the sheet yes. Personally I normally use blue for heavier items, although there isn't much between them for plasterboard.

The wickes options also look very impressive. I had never seen them before.

I don't know what it cassified as a heavy guitar, but 10lb is under 5kg so both options above should be fine.

• TinLipTinLip Frets: 368
    Bog standard red plugs into the same type of wall you have. 

Currently have a Fender P-Bass and a very heavy Tele and not a sign of movement. Been like that for about a year now. 

• I have Hercules hangers with blue plugs. They held my heavy as hell 355 no issue.
    I've always thought of plasterboard as something that would fail if a fly landed on it. If a humble rawl plug can take 10kg, and there are products that can take 160kg, then there doesn't seem to be a problem.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Name and shame the dodgy builder! ;)
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• desteredestere Frets: 5
    A friend of mine used no more nails and it eventually gave way - he had a very slight damp problem though. Just something worth considering! 

(The damp problem was with the walls, not him!)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    You could use no more nails in addition to screws for a bit more peace of mind.

Or these plasterboard fixings:

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Rawlplug-41-645-Interset-Cavity-Fixing-M5x40mm-Pack-6/p/215072

The bloke who owned our last house before us fitted everything with these. Even the toilet roll holder!

They are complete bastards to remove without pulling off bits of plaster. Once they are in your geetar will stay put.
    Previously known as stevebrum
    usedtobe;669362" said:
    Name and shame the dodgy builder! ;)
    Charles Church. The name on the finest homes. Pff

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2015
    Mr_Bluesman;669214" said:
    Plasterboard is either as mentioned with a batten into I the wood frame of the stud wall or I cannot recommend these enough http://www.wickes.co.uk/gripit I've got guitars including Les Paul's (Heavy) hung with them, absolutely fantastic product. You only need the yellow ones for guitar weight.

I mentioned them in another thread on here of a similar vein. 1 or 2 people were unsure (as we always are with thing we haven't tried). All I can say is I've used them loads, they're solid and dead easy to fit.
    I used gripit today to put up some curtains. Great product and really sturdy. Would be great if the wall I was hanging guitars from was hollow, but I think they've put a double thickness of dry lining in so gripit may not be an option. Thinking those screw on jobbies may do the trick.