Gibson ES175 - How much?

What's Hot
stratcatstratcat Frets: 46
Ok, I know how much the new ones are - I can google honest!
But what sort of money do good second hand (not vintage) swap hands for. I have looked around the net a bit but can't see much in the way of 2nd hand prices.
Thanks in advance.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I think between 1500 and 2000 is normal (a friend bought a 1980 ES175 for 2000 quid a couple of years ago).  The vintage ones aren't ridiculously expensive, particularly if you only require a neck pickup.  If you want one, I have an L4 I've come to realise I need to sell.  Pretty much the same as a 175 but with a solid spruce top.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73030
    The last one on Ebay UK went for £1650. I would expect a shop to price one at about £2K, a bit less for a quick turnround or maybe a touch more initially if they're willing to haggle or take trades.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    ES175s have noticeably gone down in price. The ES165 with the single 490 pickup is 300-500 cheaper (175s have classic57s) and an excellent buy.
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5640
    edited June 2015
    You can pick up a 1963 or 1964 ES-175 for between £3,500 and £5,000, depending on condition. The earlier ones go for more because they had PAF pickups. I would always be cautious with jazz boxes that originally had PAFs - a lot of them have had their pickups removed.
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
     Some of the Historic Es guitars don't have  a serial number? This is supposedly for historical accuracy but you will find reports online of inconsistencies in applying this approach. I would hope that these guitars have the paper label securely attached. (I am not fussy about them using Hot Hide Glue to attach it).

• jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    I think the serial's on the label in the f-hole?
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16275
    most decent s/hand go for about £1600 private and £1850 in store
  • Sold my nice condition 175 1988 for £1400 last year. Had it one here , eBay and Gumtree and there was no-one biting above that. I Bought it for same a few months earlier and flipped it.

Don't believe the asking prices and haggle hard.

• johnonguitarjohnonguitar Frets: 1243
    knuckleberryfinn;670406" said:
    I think between 1500 and 2000 is normal (a friend bought a 1980 ES175 for 2000 quid a couple of years ago).  The vintage ones aren't ridiculously expensive, particularly if you only require a neck pickup.  If you want one, I have an L4 I've come to realise I need to sell.  Pretty much the same as a 175 but with a solid spruce top.
    We need to see pics if this L4 please
  • knuckleberryfinn;670406" said:
    I think between 1500 and 2000 is normal (a friend bought a 1980 ES175 for 2000 quid a couple of years ago).  The vintage ones aren't ridiculously expensive, particularly if you only require a neck pickup.  If you want one, I have an L4 I've come to realise I need to sell.  Pretty much the same as a 175 but with a solid spruce top.
    We need to see pics if this L4 please
    Don't want to derail the thread, so here's a mere link - managed to sort out posting an ad earlier today: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/43805/fs-ft-gibson-l4-ces-james-hutchins-master-model-1989#latest
  • stratcatstratcat Frets: 46
    Thanks everyone for the advice.
    It sounds do-able without me having to sell up all my other guitars! ha ha.
    Cheers