Linear or Log pots for P90's

BabyfrankBabyfrank Frets: 40
Pecked up a cracking Aersi brand Thinline Tele last week; it plays and sounds great, but both the volume and tone pots act more like on/off switches than pots... they have no effect until they're turned down to about 2 on the pot. So... For a volume (and tone) control that works, what value should I use, and what type of taper? Cheers BF
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73031
    500K Log for both.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• horsehorse Frets: 1597
    I did log for volume and linear for tone, and had that exact same problem with the tone controls, so now have log for both and it is much better. This was with humbucker size p90s
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73031
    edited June 2015
    horse said:
    I did log for volume and linear for tone, and had that exact same problem with the tone controls, so now have log for both and it is much better.
    The advice to use linear for tone is still fairly widespread, and it's just plain wrong unless you deliberately want a near on/off effect (eg if you want to do 'tone control wah' without having to turn the knob much) or if you're going for a jazz-type tone with a very low value tone pot (eg 100K) that's the same full-up as where a higher-value one starts to work.

Linear can work well for volume controls if you're using it as a fine *volume* control for clean sounds, but is less useful if you're trying to use it the more traditional way as a gain control for overdriven sounds.

You want a .022uF cap for P90s too, by the way!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BabyfrankBabyfrank Frets: 40
    Thanks guys, I appreciate your advice.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11106
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    horse said:
    I did log for volume and linear for tone, and had that exact same problem with the tone controls, so now have log for both and it is much better.
    The advice to use linear for tone is still fairly widespread, and it's just plain wrong unless you deliberately want a near on/off effect (eg if you want to do 'tone control wah' without having to turn the knob much) or if you're going for a jazz-type tone with a very low value tone pot (eg 100K) that's the same full-up as where a higher-value one starts to work.

Linear can work well for volume controls if you're using it as a fine *volume* control for clean sounds, but is less useful if you're trying to use it the more traditional way as a gain control for overdriven sounds.

Exactly what the man said! 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• ICBM said:
    horse said:

Exactly what the man said! 
    Thanks for the save guys, I thought I'd try linear on my tone pot - order changed! :D