Telecaster switching mods/options

What's Hot
TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7711
edited June 2015 in Guitar
With various knobs, megaswitches, and wiring options out there the possibilities are pretty numerous, but which ones sound good enough to try and accommodate?

I'm pretty sold on having the beefy 'both in series' option in there, so presume this is doable either via a 4-way or a push-pull, is that right?
But what about phase options? Any good in Tele land?

I'm probably going to go with a DiMarzio Chopper T bridge pickup so that is 4 conductor, not sure if it's worth splitting or fine as is for mixed selections?

Any ideas, suggestions or experiences welcome. (even if it's the expected 'Leo was right, don't change anything, I know you can't help yourself so go for it ;-) )

Cheers
Tim

Red ones are better. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Well, the original ones iirc had neck with loads of treble rolled off, neck normal and bridge normal - no in between.

So traditionally, teles have always been modded!

I like the 4 way in series switch. @alnico uses it and it just gives you a nice, if quite hummy (in some places) boosted, fat tone.

Another common one is a blower switch - I *think* it just takes your bridge pickup and routes it straight to the jack via no tone pot which makes it a bit louder. Like having a small in built boost.
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    I prefer standard wiring and found I never used the in series option when I had it. One of my Teles has an Oil City tapped bridge with a push/pull on the tone pot and another has a no load circuit again selected with a push/pull on the tone pot. Couple of ideas perhaps?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    I am just about to give my Tele back the tech again to have the 4 way removed and replaced with a std 3 way.

Since having Oil City Alligator/P90 Hybrid and Californian pickups fitted,the std 3 positions are so good they have made the series 4th position redundant. It's almost as if the series setting sounds confused and not sure what it is, muddy and not at all as sparkly and defined as the other 3.

Anyway by next weekend it will be out of the guitar and available £ FOC.

First person who answers the random question below can have it........

How long is the racetrack at 'Camptown' ?
    It's just occurred to me in an OMG moment that i didn't intend to derail this thread, i was just blundering in and trying to help someone out. My apologies to @TimmyO if it came across that way !
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73031
    Alnico said:
    I am just about to give my Tele back the tech again to have the 4 way removed and replaced with a std 3 way.

Since having Oil City Alligator/P90 Hybrid and Californian pickups fitted,the std 3 positions are so good they have made the series 4th position redundant. It's almost as if the series setting sounds confused and not sure what it is, muddy and not at all as sparkly and defined as the other 3.
    I agree, I've never particularly liked that sound. I also don't like the momentary drop-out between the positions as you move the switch.

Alnico said:
    I know, but you've already been very generous to me and I have new 4-way switches at the shop, so I won't say :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7711
    I know but won't claim it - not decided yet what options if any to go for.

And always good to hear experiences, that's not derailing at all :-)

Cheers
    Red ones are better. 
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    edited June 2015
    I know, but have no need for the switch.

Relating to the question, my friend had a mahogany tele with a chopper T in the bridge and a P90 in the neck, the series sound was good, but it lacked the definition the other sounds had, it just sounded a bit muddy, he later replaced the bridge with a Lace Dually Blue/Gold, and used the 4th position for the gold only.
  • koss59koss59 Frets: 862
    The together in series isn't usable for rhythm in my opinion but is an amazing lead tone when you want a bit "more" It tends to come in to its own at high volume with a band though.
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
  • DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2566
    I've got a partscaster which uses Deaf Eddie's 5-way Tele switching system (wiring diagram is here).  Needs one of the 5-way super-switches with a gajillion poles, but it's very usable.  The 1, 3 and 5 positions are the standard Tele options...really useful if you're hopelessly conditioned to foward/middle/back being neck/both/bridge. The in-between positions are neck+bridge in series, and neck+bridge in series out-of-phase.  This series and out-of-phase option is great...you don't get the ridickly-ous volume drop you normally get with out-of-phase wiring.

I've further complicated the issue by having a middle pickup on a toggle switch, which means I can also add the middle pickup in parallel with any of the 5 switching options...lots of strat-ier sounding options at the flick of a switch.  I wouldn't want all my Teles wired up this way, but having one on hand is great.
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Part of the beauty of Telecasters for me is their simplicity. I think they're pretty versatile as is without an abundance of additional pickups and switching options.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I currently have the 4-way switch with series mod in my partsa.  But I also have Oil City tapped bridge and neck pickups switched by a push/pull volume pot.  The tapped option is brilliant on the bridge, but less useful on the neck (I can see why I had to custom order the tapped neck pickup).  I like the series option too.  But I do sometimes think it would be nice to have an Esquire with volume and tone controls...
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8846
    TimmyO said:
    Any ideas, suggestions or experiences welcome. (even if it's the expected 'Leo was right, don't change anything, I know you can't help yourself so go for it ;-) )
    Pickups is one thing that Leo didn't get right.  His original wiring, with a capacitor to take out the treble, gave a dull sound.  The neck pickup with a grounded metal cover can sound dull too.  Brightening it by un-earthing the cover is an improvement.  To my ears a Strat type pickup like the Californian sounds much better in the neck position.

TimmyO said:
    I'm pretty sold on having the beefy 'both in series' option in there, so presume this is doable either via a 4-way or a push-pull, is that right?
    4-way switching is an easy option, with lots of diagrams on the net.  I've tried it, but don't have any use for the sound of both pickups in series, the volume is there, but the tone isn't bright enough for my ears.  Next time I shall go for a tapped single coil in the bridge with four switching options: untapped bridge, tapped bridge, tapped bridge in parallel with neck, and neck only.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27696
    I don't like the 4-way switch. Not for the sound, but because it makes switching much harder. Better to have it on a push/push pot if possible.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • johnswissjohnswiss Frets: 395
    Alnico;670240" said:

Anyway by next weekend it will be out of the guitar and available £ FOC.

First person who answers the random question below can have it........

5 miles long? Could definitely use a 4 way if it's still here. Cheers

Ive had the series option on a baja set up and an american deluxe, a nice thing to have at your disposal especially if you dont use pedals.
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    The in-series setting suits some pickups more than others - thats why its used by Fender with the Twisted Tele neck pickup because that pickup plays nice with bridge pickups. I've tried it with others and the thicker sound is just too dark.
    @johnswiss
    Pm me your address and I will have it on its way to you after the coming weekend. ......

Doo Dah, Doo Dah.

:)
    Alnico;670551" said:
    @johnswiss
    Pm me your address and I will have it on its way to you after the coming weekend. ......

Doo Dah, Doo Dah.

:)
    Thanks mate, address on the way.

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7711
    Lots of useful info - thanks folks 
    Red ones are better. 
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1633
    One thing to watch out for with a 4 way is the control plate slot fouling the throw of the switch lever.

Sometimes gets misdiagnosed as a faulty switch, a bit of slot filing is the easy fix.