Discovered an amazing player recently

BucketBucket Frets: 7751
This might not be news to some of you, but it is to me - it's before my time and I've only just really found out about him.

It's Michael Algar, better known as Olga, from a punk band called the Toy Dolls. Found out about him through being a huge fan of Ginger Wildheart - I bought his album "Yoni" recently and it's become one of my favourite albums, and there's a track on it with a guest solo from Olga. I was really impressed when I heard it, not heard very many players that sound like him at all. It's unusual to find someone this good in a punk band - he's got some serious skills, and his solos are very melodic too. Only person springing to mind as a comparison, oddly, is Elliott Easton from the Cars, who has a similarly quirky style which is melodic but off-kilter, with a surprising turn of speed.

And the songs are just so cheerful and upbeat (if exceedingly strange a lot of the time). He's got a pretty weird voice.

Lovely little solo at 1:49 here:

1:38 here, in the brilliantly titled "I Gave My Heart To A Slag Called Sharon From Whitley Bay":

Solo at 1:45 here (this is what made me think of Elliott Easton more than anything else):

1:38 here is just brilliant.

Here's their biggest hit... no solo but some cool rhythm playing, and it's just so f'in catchy.

And their version of Duelling Banjos is killer.

So yeah... I only listened to the Toy Dolls for the first time yesterday, but I love them already! And Olga's awesome.
- "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2665
    edited June 2015
    I saw the Toy Dolls in 1985, which makes me feel old! Olga is a fantastic player and he has got better over the years. I read somewhere that Paul Gilbert is a fan, probably as they're big in Japan. Get the 2 disc compilation 'We're Mad' for updated versions of all their songs with some great playing. Check these 2 out:

Also Back in '79 is one of my favourite solos by Olga:

Enjoy!
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Epic !
    Massive toy dolls fan here.

@mrchi
    What was the concert I sent you the link to ?
    They played a reunion gig recently.
    I away in the truck and can't get to my laptop right now.
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    edited June 2015
    Here you go sir @Alnico

You also gotta love this song!

Totally right about the playing, olga is such a good player, love the toy dolls.
    They also do a brilliant cover of duelling banjos !
    @mrchi
    Nice one man.
    Think I might watch that tonight wherever I end up parked up.
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    Yeah man! Get it playing, I have watched it many times! It's down to you that I'm a toy dolls fan! Even the kids love em:-D
    ^
    That's brilliant.
    Pass it all on.
    :)
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2046
    I know a woman called Sharon in Whitley Bay.  Can't comment on her virtue, though.

Thanks for the heads-up on these.  Shamefully I've never heard of them despite trying to keep tabs on the bands that hail from these parts.  They seem good for a few North-East-themed singalongs.  Love three-pieces too.
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1336
    Go to you tube and guitar lessons with olga ..learn to play the songs ..
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    mark123 said:
    Go to you tube and guitar lessons with olga ..learn to play the songs ..
    I have been! Got the solo from Alec's Gone (mostly) down today... it's pretty fucking hard! Jumps about all over the place.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    Haha! I haven't heard Nellie The Elephant in years! Thanks for posting this, I'm discovering the rest of their catalogue as we speak :D

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

• DominicDominic Frets: 16293
    A bit Jilted John with more musical talent.....
    however John Shuttleworth classic " SERIAL CEREAL EATER " takes some beating 
    for those that hav'nt had the pleasure you tube it as I cant seem to make the link work