Which (50's style) Telecaster pickups would you recommend?

What's Hot
TimBloomerTimBloomer Frets: 28
Hi Guys, 

I have a 2008 USA standard Telecaster that I love, it's the only solid body electric guitar I own, but I am toying with the idea of changing out the pickups. I would like some 50's style Tele pickups (so nothing mega high output please!) I mainly play rock n roll, rockabilly and rhythm and blues. I would really appreciate any recommendations anyone has. 

Thanks, 
Tim
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BeexterBeexter Frets: 612

I upgraded the pickups in my CIJ 50's telecaster to the Fender Original Vintage Tele set (as fitted as standard to the AV52 re-issue) and am very happy with them. I'd certainly recommend them

There is a set of Texas Specials in the classifieds that you might want to consider but I think they're a bit hotter than the standard "vintage" set.

• MossMoss Frets: 2409
    Stop crying, start buying
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    edited June 2015
    I love my BKP Country boy in the bridge... ISTR Oil City do a similar :)
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Just Man Up and get a SD Quarter Pounder or a BKP Piledriver. 

Your amp will thank you.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3924
    Gagaryn said:

Agreed. Finest pup I've ever heard/owned.
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1622
    Moss said:
    this. Marc's Broadcaster set is by far the best I've heard on a Tele which is why I have bought, ahem, four sets 

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12669
    I still adore the sound of my 72 Tele which has been powered by a Seymour Duncan Broadcaster pickup since 2004.

I'd also heartily recommend Oil City Pickups - I've had the Honky Tonk Angels in a guitar and they sounded incredible.

In fact, I did a demo of a track using that guitar for a mate in a hurry (so excuse the fluffs and slightly out of tune acoustic!) - all the electric guitar on this was powered by those Oil City pickups

https://m.soundcloud.com/tim-d-morgan/start-again
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    edited June 2015
    BKP Flat 50's are the dogs. Though these days I'd probably get something from Ash or Mojo as they're every bit as good, if not better.
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 768
    It's strange that hardly anybody recommends Fender Pickups for Fender guitars. I'd check out the Fender Pure Vintage 58 pickups - £80-90 on Thomann last time I looked. The 52, 58 and 64 sets where designed by Michael Braun who did the EJ Strat pickups.

Here's a taster of the 64 set :

Also, there's the Suhr classic T set.
    Saying that you will probably find the set you have got in already are very similar to any replacements.
  • DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2566
    impmann said:
    I still adore the sound of my 72 Tele which has been powered by a Seymour Duncan Broadcaster pickup since 2004.

Ditto.  It's everything a '50s-style Tele bridge pickup should be.  Have one in my #1 Tele and wouldn't swap it out for anything.
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!
  • TimBloomerTimBloomer Frets: 28
    Thanks guys, I decided to go with the Seymour Duncan Vintage Broadcaster pickup set. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27173
    I've had large amounts of fun with BKP Briwn Sugars and even more fun with The Boss set. And Mojo did me an excellently-Boss like set for my 2nd Tele.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires