Anyone ever ordered an actual custom guitar from the Fender Custom Shop?

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• DougCodaDougCoda Frets: 642
    You can spec up a 70's Strat, I did it for someone last week...I wouldn't recommend the period correct weight of the later 70's models personally or that walnut/brown finish. I think a well built Antigua Strat would look awesome..in fact its giving me ideas...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • XWulfhereXWulfhere Frets: 416
    Philly_Q said:
    Having said no-one worries about historical inaccuracies on Fender Custom Shop stuff....

When thinking about how I would spec my own Custom Shop Strat (were I to buy one), I do find myself fretting about period details. Flatter radius, bigger frets, no problem, but say I go for the '70s big headstock and bullet truss rod.... part of my brain's telling me I "should" therefore have a 3-bolt neck, even though I'd really prefer a 4-bolt.  And should I restrict myself to '70s colours - which basically means black, white, sunburst or natural - or do I dare go for something you'd never actually see on a '70s Strat?  It's a bit of a dilemma, even though it really shouldn't be!

Spec up the axe you want dude! That's the whole point of it! I think what you've suggested is a great idea, I've always loved the 70s headstock on a strat, but prefer 60s colours. Leave historical accuracy to the reissues :-)
    And you know what else? Those safety lids on bottles of sanatogen. There I am trying to get the lid off and along comes my six year old and says "there you are daddy" and it's off in a Jiffy. Someone's gonna get hurt.
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3447
    I want a 67-style large headstock strat in Graffiti Yellow, 6 point vintage trem with Callaham block and arm, gold lace sensors and Clapton boost, regular tone control. Quarter sawn maple neck with ebony board and stainless 6105 frets. Locking tuners and a NOS lacquer finish.

Don't think they made em like that in '67 but that wouldn't stop me ordering it:)
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23574
    @Wulfhere  @MoeZambeek

Good points well made! 
    >:D<
    DougCoda said:
    You can spec up a 70's Strat, I did it for someone last week...I wouldn't recommend the period correct weight of the later 70's models personally or that walnut/brown finish. I think a well built Antigua Strat would look awesome..in fact its giving me ideas...
    Period-correct weight will not be on the agenda, in fact I'd be asking for extra-light if that's possible!  I like Antigua too.  I don't even mind the Walnut/Mocha brown - it's so very '70s - but I wouldn't have it as my first choice....

• MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    You can request the builder to select light body wood.
    This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom