Anyone else have a revelation music wise? DOWNLOAD festival was to blame

What's Hot
ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6222
in Music tFB Trader
So I've avoided Five Finger Death Punch for years, i had a notion that they were death metal/djent/not for me i have no idea why. Anyway I went to DOWNLOAD this weekend past and heard them on the main stage... to say i was blown away was an understatement. The band just have that level of enthusiasm and energy that i find infectious. Aside from the mighty Slipknot they were the best metal act i heard all weekend.

The best non metal act for me was Motley Crue, again such a level of passion for their music it is amazing. Other legendary acts were Slash and Myles kennedy, Tremonti, the Cadillac three, Clutch and Muse.

Marilyn Manson was not great though- too much political chat.
Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I went to Download TEN (!!) years ago for my stag do.

It was where I finally "got" Slipknot- they suddenly make sense when seen live.
    Therapy? stole the whole weekend for me- superb.

Clutch are amazing live. SO tight. Neil is an excellent front man- I always think he's like some kind of Southern Evangelical Minister with his mannerisms & delivery.
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1783
    Someone at work said the exact same thing about 5 finger death punch, he said they were one of the standout acts even though he didn't think he'd like it based on what he'd previously heard.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6222
    tFB Trader
    BigMonka said:
    Someone at work said the exact same thing about 5 finger death punch, he said they were one of the standout acts even though he didn't think he'd like it based on what he'd previously heard.
    Yeah, i think seeing a band live really gives you an idea of what they are about

I went to Download TEN (!!) years ago for my stag do.

It was where I finally "got" Slipknot- they suddenly make sense when seen live.
    Therapy? stole the whole weekend for me- superb.

Clutch are amazing live. SO tight. Neil is an excellent front man- I always think he's like some kind of Southern Evangelical Minister with his mannerisms & delivery.
    can't argue with that, Clutch were great. I do like the whole southern country rock thing though.
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    edited June 2015
    yeah FFDP are pretty damn good.  American Capitalist is a great album.  If you like FFDP you might like Adrenaline Mob.
    tFB Trader
    yeah FFDP are pretty damn good.  American Capitalist is a great album.  If you like FFDP you might like Adrenalin Mob.

I'll check them out! Just listening to FFDP on the SONOS, great way to start Saturday. Thanks
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    thorpy6 said:
    yeah FFDP are pretty damn good.  American Capitalist is a great album.  If you like FFDP you might like Adrenaline Mob.

I'll check them out! Just listening to FFDP on the SONOS, great way to start Saturday. Thanks
    Cool, let me know what you think.  
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Therapy, Clutch....I may just like Download these days.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6934
    edited June 2015
    I didn't rate Clutch or Tremonti much, but I did enjoy the country rock vibe - Cadillac Three, Blackberry Smoke and Black Stone Cherry were my new music highlights. There was also a band called The Struts in the small marquee that were amazing in a Stones/Bolan kind of way - really got the crowd going. That's what I enjoyed at Download - the mix of styles and the chance to check out new bands easily.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    edited June 2015 tFB Trader
    mrkb said:
    That's what I enjoyed at Download - the mix of styles and the chance to check out new bands easily.
    Its an expensive weekend all told but for the shear amount of bands it's great, I'm also loving the country rock thing, it's got me thinking about going back to Nashville soon.
    y
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7300
    FFDP are pretty great live although I like them less recorded. I saw them at a download festival a few years back, they were playing in a row with devil driver and kill switch engage which are all not a million miles away sound wise and up staged both of them.

Clutch are also fantastic. Thing with download though is they put on the same bands all the time so once youve been to a couple of years you've basically seen everyone they will have on the bill for the next 5-7 years.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    edited June 2015 tFB Trader
    Thing with download though is they put on the same bands all the time so once youve been to a couple of years you've basically seen everyone they will have on the bill for the next 5-7 years.
    yeah true, but that says more about the genre of rock and metal than it does of download, there are only so many big bands.....
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7300
    Maybe for main stage candidates but they could have more variety on the second stage wire easily. The third stage tends to be full of no name identikit death metal tripe as well.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    edited June 2015
    Five Finger Death Punch are a terrible terrible band they sound like wrestling intro music

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5026
    Each year Hellfest happens the week after and is about 10 times better.
    They also do a lot of the big name bands but get so many far better bands as well.
    tFB Trader
    Five Finger Death Punch are a terrible terrible band they sound like wrestling intro music

that was the worst iPhone video I've ever heard, nothing to do with the band everything to do with vertical filming and rubbish sound quality.
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3068
    Never really got Clutch until I watched the Download footage on Sky.

Really impressed and the drummer was amazing.  
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

I had almost exactly the same at Donington 1992. Before I went I didn't like.get either Slayer or The Almighty.

I'm a huge fan of both now......

FFDP are one of the few current crop of low-tuned metal I like. I'd love to get to see them one day.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• ReverendReverend Frets: 5026
    I saw 5fdp at an awards show a while back. Never again.
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1477
    Just discovered The Gospel Youth today as they're supporting Deaf Havana on thursday in Oxford. 

Catchy as fuck pop rock outfit from Brighton. Right up my proverbial.