Suhr guitars sold off

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• GruGru Frets: 339
    blueskunk;674794" said:
    Just announced a budget range to "compete with classic vibes".
    There is no reason why they can't make this work, it won't make the top end versions less valuable (IMO) Just expose the brand to a wider market.

I am one person that struggles to justify over £500 for a guitar. I don't gig, i only play for myself.

While I would love to own a PRS, a U.S. Strat, a Gibson, it is more likely I will own an SE, a Mexican or an Epiphone. I would imagine there is a huge market to be tapped at this level?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    edited June 2015
    Someone posted this on TGP.  Can any of you guys put this into layman's terms for me please?

The guy who posted it joined TGP today so they are possibly a Suhr competitor who is happy they haven't made a good choice it would seem?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Do you remember when Suhr were rare and sought after. Do a quick search of Suhr on Ebay, including completed listings. The brand has lost a lot of its out-of-reach cachet. Good time to bail out.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    @Chalky - I don't know if the second hand market is a good indicator though. For example, PRS 2nd hand prices are low but the company is still selling a lot of new guitars.

I hope their customer service and quality remain intact. You could argue that these two elements are strong attributes of the brand and are why they are an attractive takeover target. Dunno.
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    John Suhr has been a fairly astute businessman by the standards of the guitar industry and my bet is he's thinking "this is close to peak" and cashed in. The valuation looks more than fair as it's a fairly capital goods intensive business and I doubt margins are much above 10%.

What now happens is down to the new owner. Charvel don't seem to have gotten bad under Fender, whereas Kramer all but dissappeared under Gibson.
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2182
    Yeah!

I've got a pre takeover Suhr.

Excellent.

It'll be worth £10,000 eventually.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    I suppose we should be grateful that Gibson didn't buy it up.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom