It may be cheap but...

What's Hot
lincolnbluelincolnblue Frets: 294
Pictured is my Strat copy named as "Harkness Special". It was bought in 1996 when I was just 13 with money given by my late Grandmother and was branded "Legend". I was told by the shop assistant it was build by a company owned by Fender although I think I just fell for that as a kid.

http://i868.photobucket.com/albums/ab250/lincolnblue/IMAG0273.jpg

It was a cheap, £115 guitar and did me well until I bought something else. However, in recent years I found the nec to be warped and so took it to local luthier Chris George who worked on the neck for me and put on a custom "Harkness" decal (My Grandmother's surname).

Other than that, it's all stock - I am thinking about changing the pickups though to make it sound more Strat-y.

So it's a cheap guitar, 20 years old, with sentimental value. However, it really does play brilliantly. Maybe it's because of its sentimental value but it is my go-to electric. It has songs written within it and is a dream to play. 

As much as I'd love a vintage Strat, I can't help but think I'll never get anything as good or as natural to play. 

Anyone else got similar stories of cheap, sentimental guitars that far out-weigh a £3,000 axe?
0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I had a Legend Telecaster clone… I was under the impression that there was some connection to the Aria brand rather than Fender. It was pretty good.

I love to see people keeping good guitars regardless of the name on the headstock (although you have that covered both figuratively and literally!)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    My late Grandmother left me £50 and I used it to buy a Fender Strat in '75...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robwrightrobwright Frets: 738
    blueskunk said:
    I'll do u a favour and give u £60 for that silly old strat ^^^^^
    Very naughty blueskunk - a '75 Strat has to be worth £100 now!

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • freakboy1610freakboy1610 Frets: 1211
    I won't part with my Samick Les Paul copy which I paid £80 for. It's got plenty of scratches and scrapes but it plays superbly.
    Link to my trading feedback
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1783
    I've still got, and regularly play, the Squier strat I got for Christmas when I was 12. The pickups could probably do with an upgrade but the neck plays beautifully - well it does to me, but then it was the guitar I spent my teens and 20s playing so it's probably more the fact that I know it so well rather than because it's great.
    Is it better than a £3k axe? I'll let you know if I ever get to play something that nice :((
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719

I've got a Suhr in 2006 and an 84 Strat (the lame year) I got in 92 (when I was 20) - the Strat is like a pair of old slippers.

I don't have the Ibanez EX-120BL I got in 93 and I played constantly for years.. I sold it to help pay for the Suhr - kudos to you guys for, as my youngest son's school motto goes "hold fast to that which is good"

A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27149
    I still play my first-guitar Squier Strat regularly. Granted it's been modded a HELL OF A LOT. But it's still my first guitar as far as I'm concerned and up there with my Gibson CS336, which is my actual best electric.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Dave_VaderDave_Vader Frets: 360

This is not a Fender, it was an Oakland Strat copy I was given in 1989. Jap apparently, but no information anywhere about it. I've replaced every part of it except the body over the years, and it's still my no 1 guitar. No idea what they cost new, but probably not lots.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robwrightrobwright Frets: 738
    /\ /\ /\ Triggers Broom!

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom