Recommendations for classic Strat PUs?

What's Hot
Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1280

Okay, so I'm going to mod my '93 Strat Plus Deluxe including having a trad nut fitted replacing the now somewhat dodgy Wilkinson roller nut and put the original trem block back in minus the trem-setter thingy. Then a complete replacement pickguard with some classic strat PUs (I'm thinking 50s rather than 60s).

Any recommendations for the PUs?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12669
    Mojos or Oil City - both are among the best in the world right now
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    I'd get a new roller nut rather than put a traditional one in as it might look a bit funny. 

This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

• blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2890
    impmann;675964" said:
    End of thread :)

• Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1280

@impmann Mojo, okay, I'll have a look. Oil City was on the radar and BK too (I've put PKs in my LP recently and love the way that's worked out).

@MattFGBI I've had a conversation with my tame luthier regarding the feasabilty of such a manouveur and he seems confident of a good looking and solid result. Don't quite know how he'd do it though to be fair.

• MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    I'd imagine he's going to glue a bit on the end..... Or get an Earvana style replacement which has an "adaptor" for the extra wide gap. 
    This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

blueskunk said:
    impmann;675964" said:
    End of thread :)

Not quite a recommendation tho, was kind of looking for people who fitted stuff and been impressed or otherwise :)
  • noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 799
    edited June 2015
    Thrilled with my Oil City Stone Tones. Plenty of sparkle for knopfler/gilmour/srv type sounds, and the growl from the bridge pickup is a thing of wonder but can still twang.
    Edit: I've also had a set of Triple Blues - slightly lower output and a twangier bridge. Very nice, smooth and sparkly but I preferred a gruntier, fatter bridge pickup. If you're after more of a 50's set then maybe the triple blues, or they also do 50's voiced ones but I've never tried them. Although I do have a squier knocking about... ;)
  • GuitarZeroGuitarZero Frets: 254
    I have Tonerider Pure Vintage pups in my Strat, they've got an excellent 50s vibe and they are well priced too.
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3990
    I really liked the Fender 57/62 pickups I had in my Classic Player.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11462
    Not the cheapest but the Fralin Vintage Hots I've got in mine are brilliant.  They've been in there a while.  I'm not sure that a lot of the small British makers were options when I bought them.
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2330
    Have a look at regentone. I got a set of their Tele pups and they're superb.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Thanks for those, I'll have a look at them.

I think I'm likely to head for something at the lower end output wise rather than the "vintage hot" type of options, as per my OP of 50s rather than 60s.

Anyone any more suggestions?

• ab2014ab2014 Frets: 89
    duncan ssl-1 set or alnico ii singles, i tend to like a thicker bridge pickup though maybe try a twangbanger
  • SamgbSamgb Frets: 774
    Rowby1;44145" said:
    Okay, so I'm going to mod my '93 Strat Plus Deluxe including having a trad nut fitted replacing the now somewhat dodgy Wilkinson roller nut and put the original trem block back in minus the trem-setter thingy. Then a complete replacement pickguard with some classic strat PUs (I'm thinking 50s rather than 60s). Any recommendations for the PUs?
    I know you say 50s rather than 60s but I picked up some Bulldog Sweet 62s for my strat and they took it to a new level. Fantastic sounding. I think the guy who makes them is on here. Another possibility to consider because he does 50s sets too.
  • ElectroDanElectroDan Frets: 554

I've got some pick-ups from a Japanese Strat in the parts classifieds if you don't want to go to the expense of a brand new set.

Here.

• woodywoody Frets: 74
    Fralins and klein s5,s my favourites that ive used so far..ive also tried duncans,kinmans,bardens,bareknuckle,s. Suhrs but my preference is for the two ive mentioned.
  • Oil city calibre 53s or rocket fifties.

What do I win for the correct answer?

Mojo are highly regarded around here too, and are definitely able to wind great vintage style pickups.
  • andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2197
    +1 for the Regentones. £69 for a full set of handwound strat pickups with RW/RP middle. Really nice sounding, certainly on a par with the BK set I had. Good quality covers too.
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 847
    edited June 2015
    Check out catswhiskers pus as well. He can wind to get any tone you like, much like oil city and mojo.

While I've not tried his Strat pus, the p90s I have are easily on par with the bk pus I have.
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 847
    Rowby1;676388" said:
    Thanks for those, I'll have a look at them.I think I'm likely to head for something at the lower end output wise rather than the "vintage hot" type of options, as per my OP of 50s rather than 60s.Anyone any more suggestions?
    Don't 50s tend to be slightly hotter than 60s? Certainly the case with tele pus