Ricky 330

What's Hot
hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
I played one of these today for the first time in a shop and WOW! I know people say it's a marmite neck, but it's like it was custom designed for my hands. I've never felt so comfortable playing in my life. The body is quite big, but that fits me perfectly too.

I loved the jangle, but I also really loved the neck pup and I was surprised at how versatile it was compared to how versatile people say it is. It was great clean, crunchy and then overdriven but I didn't try it with loads of gain. Doesn't matter though, I don't care if it's crap with high gain because everything else about it is perfect for me.

I know that it has jumped to the top of my GAS list and I will own one as soon as I can. If I wasn't skint I'd have taken it home with me there and then.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SimpleSimonSimpleSimon Frets: 1025
    Great guitars, ive owned a few over the years and always come back to them. They are well built and to an amazing level of quality compared to the other big name fixed neck US brand. I would rank them alongside PRS for quality of materials and craftsmanship.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72508
    hobbio said:
    I played one of these today for the first time in a shop and WOW! I know people say it's a marmite neck, but it's like it was custom designed for my hands. I've never felt so comfortable playing in my life. The body is quite big, but that fits me perfectly too.

I loved the jangle, but I also really loved the neck pup and I was surprised at how versatile it was compared to how versatile people say it is. It was great clean, crunchy and then overdriven but I didn't try it with loads of gain. Doesn't matter though, I don't care if it's crap with high gain because everything else about it is perfect for me.
    I agree with every word of that. And they're not crap with high gain either.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• TonyRTonyR Frets: 908
    Cracking guitars - I've owned at least one Rickenbacker since 1988 and currently have three of them - a 1998PT, 381/12 and 330/6  (currently for sale).

They are certainly more versatile than people give them credit for and they do overdriven very well. Many people don't like the thin necks or the glossy fingerboards but I certainly do.

Up until recently Rickenbackers were by far my favourite guitars, that was until I got my hands on a Gretsch.

We are all Chameleons...
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    I really liked the lacquered fingerboard too.

The whole thing just oozed class. Really high quality guitars, these. I had no idea that I would like them this much, I wish I'd tried one years ago because I'd own one by now if I had!

Jesus, I've just looked on ebay and they hold their value well.

If you find they're as much for you as this, you just have to do anything you can to find the money. There's nothing else like them.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    I recently picked up a 360 - the neck has a surprising nice round profile. Not sure if I've got completely used to the narrower fingerboard but overall it's a beauty.

@icbm tells me that the various periods of production have produced different neck profiles. Mine is a mid nineties.

Even though the 360 is a premium model I reckon I'd swap it for a Fireglo 330 anyday!
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • hobbio;676701" said:
    Jesus, I've just looked on ebay and they hold their value well.
    I disagree with that statement from experience. I had a mint 360 jetglow for sale ages on here. Ended up selling it for £900 IIRC. I'll echo the sentiment that that they don't just do jangly stuff they can rock out as well. Brilliant guitars.
  • NervousJohnNervousJohn Frets: 191
    edited June 2015
    Correct! Now go buy one. Btw 12 strings are better than 6.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Correct! Now go buy one. Btw 12 steins are better than 6.
    Agreed.

:)

If you meant strings ;)…. not so sure. I really, really want to like Rick 12-strings, but I can't quite get on with them. I've owned a 360/12 and a 660/12, and don't have either of them now. Overall I think the 6s have just as much character - although obviously not that distinctive 12-string sound - but are less restrictive with what you can do with them.

Now edited for sausage fingers. Ironically....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • XWulfhereXWulfhere Frets: 416
    i had one for years, they're great great guitars. Well made, great sound and possibly the best looking electric ever (or so I thought at the time). I only moved it on because my tastes had changed and wanted to try other axes.
    And you know what else? Those safety lids on bottles of sanatogen. There I am trying to get the lid off and along comes my six year old and says "there you are daddy" and it's off in a Jiffy. Someone's gonna get hurt.
    As soon as I have the money, I'll have a 330.

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9585
    edited June 2015
    They do overdrive and distortion very well imho. I actually prefer the newer high gain pick ups to the vintage; the ones on my 360/12 WB are incredible - sweet and jangly but also can really bite and push an amp...!

http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/q493/Warren3333/Rickenbacker 360WB 12 String/P1030779.jpg

• TonyRTonyR Frets: 908
    I actually prefer the newer high gain pick ups to the vintage
    As do I.
    We are all Chameleons...
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    TonyR;676805" said:
    Wazmeister said:

As do I.
    It probably depends on your reference point. For me it's Weller and I think his were (except for the 'Wham' neck pickup) mainly hi gains.

People looking for the 60's sound might prefer toasters.

Previously known as stevebrum
    TonyR;676805" said:
    Wazmeister said:

As do I.
    And me. Hi gains sound fuller to me.

Also - 12 strings do impose a slight limitation in terms of string bending - whole tone bends are probably out unless you are really strong. Half steps are fine, although require a little precision. But otherwise that's about it for me. Up strokes give you the classic jangle and down strokes give a more normal guitar sound, just a little thicker.
  • pmgpmg Frets: 298
    ICBM said:
    hobbio said:

I agree with every word of that. And they're not crap with high gain either.

They're fantastic with high gain!
  • pmgpmg Frets: 298
    Iamnobody said:
    I recently picked up a 360 - the neck has a surprising nice round profile. Not sure if I've got completely used to the narrower fingerboard but overall it's a beauty.

@icbm tells me that the various periods of production have produced different neck profiles. Mine is a mid nineties.

Even though the 360 is a premium model I reckon I'd swap it for a Fireglo 330 anyday!

@icbm can you elaborate on this please? (Neck profiles)
    edited June 2015
    The fingerboard really surprised me. I was expecting to struggle but it was lovely.