What the... Ebay + corksniffer content

What's Hot
MtBMtB Frets: 922
Honestly, is this for real? I'm not a historic guitars person, is this really the going rate?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2360
    No idea of the exact usual value, but if I had to guess, I'd say, "Probably."

The reason for the price isn't how good they sound- they're aren't really meant to be bought by someone who wants a pickup upgrade. They're meant to be bought by someone who has a real 1959 Les Paul, but who for some reason doesn't have a pair of genuine PAFs to put into it. When you consider how much having the correct pickups will bump up the value of said guitar, the asking price there starts to make sense.
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    I remember someone selling a full set of 59 electronics for some ridiculous price too, something like £16k.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Oh, well...
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    Please can someone buy these and put them in a Korean schecter:-)
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16741
    mrchi;677060" said:
    Please can someone buy these and put them in a Korean schecter:-)

Lets go 50/50. You buy the pickups, i will get the Schechter
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5436
    "Buyer to sort own courier"

That's pretty much a red carpet to scammers...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12927
    edited June 2015
    Whitecat;677065" said:

That bit struck me as utterly mental.

Plus, as a buyer, if the seller can't be bothered properly arranging a courier I'd be worried they can't be bothered doing anything else properly either.
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723

Whitecat;677065" said:

I've just emailed JCon and he's going to stick a bid in.  
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6841
    tFB Trader
    Dave_Mc said:

The reason for the price isn't how good they sound- they're aren't really meant to be bought by someone who wants a pickup upgrade. They're meant to be bought by someone who has a real 1959 Les Paul, but who for some reason doesn't have a pair of genuine PAFs to put into it. When you consider how much having the correct pickups will bump up the value of said guitar, the asking price there starts to make sense.
    This. I also think the price may be high due to them being double whites as I think Dimarzio have the trademark on this and no other companies including Gibson are allowed to make them.

Obviously some do so perhaps I've got the facts slightly wrong...?
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    miserneil said:
    Dave_Mc said:

This. I also think the price may be high due to them being double whites as I think Dimarzio have the trademark on this and no other companies including Gibson are allowed to make them.

I thought that was double cream... Even Yamaha pacificas have double whites :P
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    Mark's Guitar Loft has just sold a pair for $10k (covers never off).
    But MGL is an experienced dealer who puts his huge reputation on the line every time he sells vintage parts with a big price tag.
    That is quite a contrast with a guy on ebay who has 92 feedbacks, and doesn't know where the covers are, and is asking the same money.

With something like this the seller is as important as the item.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6841
    tFB Trader
    Maynehead said:
    miserneil said:
    Dave_Mc said:

I thought that was double cream... Even Yamaha pacificas have double whites :P
    Cream/White, it's all the same to me at 8:45 on a Sunday morning after 3 gigs on the bounce! :-)
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72508
    As always with these things it's the value as part of an even more overpriced whole that drives the market. If you think this is stupid, check out the price of original cream M69 pickup rings for a Les Paul Standard.

As a pickup, they're nothing particularly special - many modern builders now know how to make ones which will sound identical. Or at least identical to some of them, given that originals don't all sound the same anyway…

Personally I think double-creams look horrible, especially in a Les Paul Custom - which is probably the highest-value guitar you could put them in where the gold screws aren't wrong - so I'm out on this pair :).

And yes, DiMarzio do have a trademark on double-cream bobbins, and on the term 'PAF', despite the fact that they neither made them first, invented the term, or that their cream is the right colour. Such can be the stupidity of trademark law.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 631
    AFAIK the DiMarzio trademark only applies in the USA.