My Lester fell off its stand last night...

What's Hot
Setting up for a gig, placed my guitar on its stand, turned round and bang. Somehow it fell off, I looked round expecting to see the headstock snapped off. Can't believe how lucky I was, only a partly broken tuner. Phew!
The casing on the back snapped off on one tab, leaving the other intact. I managed to clip it back in and shoved some gaffa on to make sure it stayed in place. 

It lasted the gig but I'm gonna need a more permanent fix. I know the photo's not great but can someone tell me what type of tuners these are? It's a 93 LP studio and they're the stock tuners, I'm crap at this sort of thing. 
I'd rather avoid buying a whole set if I can help it but I'm guessing may have to. 

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g232/malarkymusic/0a7db12213a470e3497df49efd76be4d.jpg

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• svejksvejk Frets: 148
    They're Kluson Deluxes, aren't they? Shopping for tuners is much better than a neck repair - phew!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • They say gibson deluxe on the case but weren't sure if there was more than one type of "Gibson Deluxe" tuner (excluding finish)? 
    I'm a very lucky boy!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72510
    Sometimes these can be repairable.

There are two types of these, which look nearly identical - take it off and have a look at the back of the baseplate.

Schaller-made ones have two rectangular pins, and usually the pins just pop out of their slots. You can fix them by re-rivetting them using a small screwdriver as a punch to widen the existing groove. Sometimes it helps to 'dovetail' the slot first with a small file so the pin has more room to expand.

Grover-made ones have one rectangular pin and two round ones, and more usually the round pins shear off. It is possible to drill and tap the casings for small countersunk self-tapping screws, but it's quite a fiddly job and it's easier to replace the tuner.

I *think* a '93 will be Schallers, but I could be wrong.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • svejksvejk Frets: 148

How about this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KLUSON-DELUXE-MACHINE-HEAD-NICKLE-WITH-YELLOW-TULIP-BUTTONS-/221781808416?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item33a339d520

Or maybe bite the bullet and get some Tone Pros Kluson locking tuners, which should fit the same screw holes.

• Thanks @ICBM, it "had" two rectangular pins so sounds like a Schaller. One pin is still in the slot where it snapped. I'll try and get a replacement but I'll have a go at repairing in the meantime, got nowt to lose. Obviously I'll be removing it from the guitar first! :D
  • Cheers @svejk, I'll probably look to replacing the lot at some point. Not sure I'd bother with the extra expense of Tonepros, although I could upgrade the tuners on my main guitar (335) and put the old ones on the LP. Got a holiday to pay for atm so it'll be a cheap fix for now!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72510
    Thanks @ICBM, it "had" two rectangular pins so sounds like a Schaller. One pin is still in the slot where it snapped. I'll try and get a replacement but I'll have a go at repairing in the meantime, got nowt to lose. Obviously I'll be removing it from the guitar first! :D
    If the pin has snapped you won't be able to re-rivet it unfortunately. It may be possible to solder the casing back together if you have a powerful enough iron - it won't look pretty though! Try not to put so much heat in that the nylon washers melt.

Sadly I don't have any gold-plated ones, or I'd offer you one. I get through quite a lot of them, they're notorious for breaking. Usually I acquire them in sets of five ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• citizen68citizen68 Frets: 172
    Lucky! Mine fell off the stand onto a soft carpet & pop - headstock snap - you could hear my howls 4 streets away - thankfully repaired & playing good as new to this day
    Seemed like a good idea.....

• ICBM;677384" said:
    Longtallronnie said:

Thanks @ICBM, it "had" two rectangular pins so sounds like a Schaller. One pin is still in the slot where it snapped. I'll try and get a replacement but I'll have a go at repairing in the meantime, got nowt to lose. Obviously I'll be removing it from the guitar first! :D

If the pin has snapped you won't be able to re-rivet it unfortunately. It may be possible to solder the casing back together if you have a powerful enough iron - it won't look pretty though! Try not to put so much heat in that the nylon washers melt.

Sadly I don't have any gold-plated ones, or I'd offer you one. I get through quite a lot of them, they're notorious for breaking. Usually I acquire them in sets of five ;).
    Aye wa going to try soldering it, Luke I said I've nothing to lose. Thomann have sets of Schallers for £30 so not the end of the world.
  • SimpleSimonSimpleSimon Frets: 1025
    Keep the old 5 as spares......