Tuners: Plug in, Clip on or app?

What's Hot

Comments

• SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075

I can't be the only person who has never even thought about using his mobile phone to tune a guitar, or indeed using said phone in any way connected to playing the guitar!

Am I a luddite, or just old?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    SNAKEBITE said:

Am I a luddite, or just old?

You could be both! ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    I'm old and a Luddite, I used to sneer at tuners. That is until I got my Polytune pedal tuner. I like it so much I shall be buying the clip on version once they've had a chance to prove themselves.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075
    Sassafras said:
    I'm old and a Luddite, I used to sneer at tuners. That is until I got my Polytune pedal tuner. I like it so much I shall be buying the clip on version once they've had a chance to prove themselves.

I like tuners, wouldn't be without one, but I have specific tuners.

I wouldn't buy a tuner and expect to make a phone call on it!

• hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440

Do you have a smartphone?

No different from using the camera, or the mp3 player, or the mobile internet, or any other app for any other purpose.

Saying that, I don't actually use my phone as a tuner. I've a Polytune 2 mini that I use exclusively, it's awesome!

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

• EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    LOL @ grumpy luddites. ^_^
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16750
    to be fair the phone ones are only as good as the input, so factor in the cost of something like an iRig if you plan on using it for set-ups or tuning in noisy environments.  still a lot less than an actual peterson tuner if you already have a compatible phone
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    OK so not including apps what tuners are recommended around £30?
    It's going to be for intonation more than anything
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Yamaha T250
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
    Korg pitchhawk g2
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    I used a Korg Pitchclip until I lost it, now for my electric I use this program I found on the internet, and an app for my acoustic.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    UnclePsychosis;677709" said:
    If it's for setups and you need super accurate then polytune are bringing out a clip on which claims to have ludicrous accuracy and costs £35. There's a thread in the FX section.

Personally, I like pedal tuners for rehearsing and playing live and clip on ones for at home. £30 gets you a very decent pedal tuner.
    @Hyster linked to the Polytune, looks interesting.
    Think I might have to invest iin a Polytune clip on..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    Phil_aka_Pip;678983" said:
    Yamaha T250
    Sorry, did hear you the first time, think it's either the YT250 or wait until the Polytune gets a few reviews
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    If you are performing, you'll probably look like a right nelly with a clip-on tuner.

This was a public service announcement for the benefit of the blokes I played with the other night. Thrash metal. Jackson Randy Rhoads'. Clip-on tuners. D'oh.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8540
    edited June 2015
    Flink_Poyd;678955" said:
    OK so not including apps what tuners are recommended around £30?
    It's going to be for intonation more than anything
    If you can stretch a little further, the korg pitchblack portable is a great intonation tuner, Amazon is usually the cheapest.
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    My TU3 has always worked perfectly. I swear by it however after reading this I will keep a close eye on it.
  • GuitarZeroGuitarZero Frets: 254
    usedtobe said:
    UnclePsychosis;677709" said:
    If it's for setups and you need super accurate then polytune are bringing out a clip on which claims to have ludicrous accuracy and costs £35. There's a thread in the FX section.

Personally, I like pedal tuners for rehearsing and playing live and clip on ones for at home. £30 gets you a very decent pedal tuner.
    @Hyster linked to the Polytune, looks interesting.
    Think I might have to invest iin a Polytune clip on..
    I'm thinking of picking one up also.  If it gets some way close to it's marketing hype, it should be a good little tuner.  I wonder about the battery life and how that could affect accuracy when it starts to lose some of it power.
  • Dave_VaderDave_Vader Frets: 360
    DLM said:
    If you are performing, you'll probably look like a right nelly with a clip-on tuner.

This was a public service announcement for the benefit of the blokes I played with the other night. Thrash metal. Jackson Randy Rhoads'. Clip-on tuners. D'oh.
    Dead useful though, I keep mine clipped on to the mic stand, or in my pocket. As long as you take it off while actually playing, you're ok. If not, you are right, you look like a ukulelist
  • Dave_VaderDave_Vader Frets: 360
    DLM said:

Dead useful though, I keep mine clipped on to the mic stand, or in my pocket. As long as you take it off while actually playing, you're ok. If not, you are right, you look like a ukulelist
  • EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    edited June 2015
    It's okay if you use a death metal clip on tuner. It's like a normal clip on tuner but painted black and with hammy pointy design flourishes.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom