Epiphone - a pleasant surprise

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
My neighbour came over today, he had brought his son an electric guitar an asked if I could tune it for them. It was an Epiphone special II with flame graphics. The tuners were horrible, and the strings were a mile above the fretboard. I cleaned it up, polished the frets and set a nice lowish action. Plugged it into my amp and cranked up a bit, and I couldn't believe how nice it was to play! I wailed away for about half an hour to backing tracks before taking it back. It really was surprisingly good to play. On a personal level, I really dislike the headstock shape, but chuck on some half decent tuners and I would happily have kept it!
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4156
    Would you be more amazed to know that the Special II's have plywood bodies?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1682
    The low end electric guitar market is not the minefield it was 20 years ago is it?

If you spend £100 on a guitar from an established brand and get that guitar set-up properly, it's very unlikely to be a total lemon.

Plus my Korean Squier strat has a plywood body and it's one of my more resonant guitars to play unplugged. (I still want to replace the body with a solid one, but that's more to do with deficiencies in my mental health than in the plywood body itself.)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    edited June 2015
    I used to have one of those. Was pretty good, really..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom