Tokai Firebird - any thoughts?

What's Hot
markblackmarkblack Frets: 1591
Anyone have one? Tried one? I'd like to try a Firebird without trying a Firebird if you know what I mean.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3339
    I dont think Tokai do a proper through neck FB. Proper through neck is a joy to behold. Theres nothing like it.
  • markblackmarkblack Frets: 1591
    @lustycourtier I'd say they've cut a few corners... at £387.

• lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3339
    That looks cool, but I think its bolt on neck. Still a great guitar I imagine.
  • longjawlongjaw Frets: 423

I had a MIK one a couple of years ago and was underwhelmed by it, stock pick-ups were sterile, paint job was a bit blochy and the neck was one of the most uncomfortable I've played.

So I sold it and got a Gibson Firebird Studio 70's Tribute which is 10 times better and wasn't much more expensive than the Tokai (Thomann end-of-line clearance).

• CorvusCorvus Frets: 2929
    tFB Trader
    I had a MIC one for a while, needed slight fret-level but was generally fine. Pups were ok, bridge a little thin-sounding but not terribly so. Finish was better than my Gibson.
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    markblack said:
    @lustycourtier I'd say they've cut a few corners... at £387.

That LPB Tele...
    Stop crying, start buying
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3319
    @McToot has got one and it sounded and looked fabulous at the recent Gearfest. Those mini humbuckers are something else!!!
    @longjaw I kind of thought that's how it might end up :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RoxRox Frets: 2147
    I tried one in a shop a few years ago.  It was horrible.  It really was like trying to play a coffee table.

Sadly, I had no option but to dub it the Tokai Firewood.  :(

I really wanted to like it, because I love the look of Firebirds.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2362
    I tried one of the non-japanese tokai firebirds several years back (like, 10 maybe) in a shop. Was alright but a bit meh IIRC.
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 2042
    edited June 2015

As @Kebabkid says, I got one.  I bought it on here from @misterg. ; Maybe he'll chip in?

It's worth saying that I am no connoisseur and don't have any really high end instruments, but I do have a couple of lower end Gibbos and a 1980 Yamaha SG1000, so some decent things to compare... Mine is a Korean Firebird VII type and I really like it.  The finish is fine (sparkling CAR), and it plays really well.

Well, I say that, but it is an acquired taste ergonomically.  It's a bit like playing an ironing board and the neck is quite wide, with 'open' shoulders, so unless you have got big mitts (I don't), it can be a struggle. But to my ears the mini buckers are bloody brilliant.  I'm not sure if they are stock, but I assume so.  They are way fatter and quieter than SCs, but somehow more cultured than normal buckers.  I like them clean, I like them for classic rock, I have no idea how they shred as I can't do that.  Sure the pots could do with upgrading and the non-Gibson tuners are an arse, but these are foibles I can live with. 

For reference I played a new Gibson Firebird V  down at GAK a while back and I hated the neck - it had a really unusual flattened D carve that was just plain weird.  I  did like the Mini buckers on that though. 

Here's a crap pic or mine and then the family shot:

With brothers and sistersimage

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @McToot cheers for that. Seems like a try before you buy for sure. Seems the firebird could be a bit of handful.
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 2042
    markblack said:
    @McToot cheers for that. Seems like a try before you buy for sure. Seems the firebird could be a bit of handful.

I work in London (commute into Victoria 3 days a week).  I'm happy to shlepp it in for a loaner week if you fancy it. Would just need a bit of warning. 

My fees are simple, (relatively) cheap and usually served in a 568ml glass... Anything to keep the forum wheel of GAS turning at the correct RPM.

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @McToot that is a very generous offer. Let me do some more reading up.