NGD x 2 (unusual PRS content)

What's Hot
StefBStefB Frets: 2356

I don't usually do NGD's and have actually had these a week or two, but am rather enthused about them both so thought I'd share.

PRS and I have a love hate relationship; one minute we were all on (I had two Custom 22 Specials, an SC245, a 25th Anniversary SC245, a Johnny Hyland and a Studio over a two year spell), the next minute I'd sold them all as none of them really 'spoke' to me.  I bought a 2014 LP Classic a few weeks back, which totally dispelled all the bad stuff I'd read about modern Gibsons as it is beautifully built (equal to any of the PRSii I'd owned), sounds killer and has the vibe you only get when you know you are playing a Gibson.

So on to this pair... The guitar on the left is a Core model NF-3, of which you don't see many; discontinued a couple of years back but I always fancied trying one in my pursuit for a do-it-all Strat.  I'd experienced the NF-3 pickups previously on the Studio model, but they did nothing for me.  On this platform however (flat top Korina body), wow, they really are lovely and run the full range of single coil tones through P90 through humbucker with a few twists of the volume and tone pots, which are VERY effective and have made me rethink my whole way of playing.  It's very lightweight, looks lovely and understated in my opinion, and has a delightful neck - hopefully a keeper.

The guitar on the right is mainly for a bit of fun, but I got it for a good price and think it is a bit of a looker.  I've never had an SE before and the quality and playability of this is shockingly good and its an awful lot of guitar for the money.  Apparently only 100 of were made and it has a USA Bigsby & USA locking tuners factory fitted, beautifully playable ebony 'board with birds and aftermarket bridge rollers.  Possibly needs a pickup upgrade along the line (maybe HC sized P90s, and nickel covers would suit the overall style of the guitar better), but otherwise a really lovely guitar.

I just need to read up now on how to set Bigsbys up to stay in tune better...

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j437/stefbillington/2AAF577C-1045-4B7A-9BDB-DC853F131727_zpsmzuyoatj.jpg

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j437/stefbillington/FA5B3BAB-8DD6-4932-B79D-E1F26C2F558D_zpsyronxm5k.jpg

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j437/stefbillington/02F7D588-5355-4F99-980A-897541E7E845_zpsdxutrspd.jpg

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j437/stefbillington/2F8308A9-441C-443E-90A8-FC03097AF7B9_zpsx3tylbxf.jpg

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j437/stefbillington/3F3292A1-13DD-4B5F-B911-B8F19444CF44_zpsdzql1tlw.jpg

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j437/stefbillington/1ACEAD40-B459-4A00-AD7C-8EF25890EAB1_zpsmdvtxwy8.jpg

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j437/stefbillington/892DC14A-B283-4DF4-9778-C0D26DC8D85E_zpsvwyihlxv.jpg

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Tidy
    "As with all things, some days you're the dinosaur, some days you're the monkey." Sporky
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2376
    Really like the look of that NF3, from what you've said, it sounds like it covers a lot of bases
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    You lucky sod!
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    The best ways to get a bigsby to stay in tune are roller saddles, a Teflon tusq nut and some good locking tuners.
  • SimpleSimonSimpleSimon Frets: 1025
    PVO_Dave said:
    Really like the look of that NF3, from what you've said, it sounds like it covers a lot of bases

Wot Dave said^

• xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    Lovely pair,
  • I would play both of those so hard.
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2356
    PVO_Dave said:

Wot Dave said^
    Yeah, it's very versatile indeed and I'm pleased the effectiveness of both the volume and tone pots have made me approach playing in a different way.
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2356
    The best ways to get a bigsby to stay in tune are roller saddles, a Teflon tusq nut and some good locking tuners.

Just the Teflon tusq nut missing then as it already has roller saddles and a top notch set of locking tuners.  I'll get the strings stretched in properly and take it from there; I'd only use it very lightly anyway.
  • SteveGVSteveGV Frets: 344
    Love the NF3, we had a couple of those in when they available before and they didn't hang about! Love a bit of Korina

**Signed up to reply to a few comments regarding the shop, had a look about....decided to stick around! Opinions are my own and do not represent the views of Guitar Village.**

steve@guitarvillage.com | www.guitarvillage.co.uk

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72530
    StefB said:

I just need to read up now on how to set Bigsbys up to stay in tune better…

It's not as difficult as it's often made out to be.

First, you need to string it correctly. With locking tuners you want the absolute minimum string wrap on the posts - too much wrap allows the string to uncoil and re-coil slightly as you use the trem, and it won't always return exactly to the same point. When you string the guitar, set each tuner with the hole pointing directly in line with the neck, pull the string through it as tight as you can and clamp it; then wind on. Stretch the string with your other hand as it comes up to tension to form the string tightly to the post. There should be no more than about half a complete turn on each post.

Then you need to put a tiny amount of lubricant in the nut grooves and the saddle grooves - even with roller saddles or a rocking bridge it helps. Use 'big bends nut sauce' or standard lithium car grease on the saddles or a 'white' plastic nut; pencil lead is OK too but don't use grease on a 'graphite' nut. Use the tiniest amount you can, too much grease deadens the tone (really!).

Then put a small amount of machine oil (3-In-1 or similar) in the bearings at both ends of both bars in the Bigsby.

That's it. No magic, just making sure the strings can't slip at the tuners and can slip everywhere else.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30939
    I like these, but it's rather like seeing your grandad wearing the hipster look....

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    The only way to keep a Bigsby in tune is not to use it...

Nice guitars though... I think the these newer lower ranges are much more enticing that the frilly knickers jobbies...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    The only way to keep a Bigsby in tune is not to use it...
    The only way not to have a Bigsby work properly is not to know how to set the guitar up right ;).

I had an original '69 Bigsby Tele and you could divebomb it, or as close as the bend range would allow with a taller spring fitted, and it was absolutely rock-solid. Similar or close with most others I've had.

The "problem" with Bigsbys is that they're usually fitted to guitars with wide headstocks and sharp nut angles, and/or with floating bridges that move about or fixed tune-o-matics that don't move enough. There's nothing wrong with a Bigsby at all, and all those other problems can be overcome to an extent - the headstock shape being the hardest, although a really well-cut nut with flared grooves will usually do it.

That PRS should be as stable as a Bigsby Tele, since it has a straight string pull on all six strings and unlike the Tele it doesn't even have a string tree.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521

Those guitars are like hot transsexuals... I know I shouldn't find them attractive (being as they're men/PRSs) but I can't help liking the look of them.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    I had an NF3 for a short while..a rare one with rosewood board. Lovely thing. Incredibly well made.