Gibson rd artist

What's Hot
Anyone out there own a Gibson rd artist ? What do people think of them?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    I'd love one, but getting quite rare and expensive these days.
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Them the ones with the complicated electrickery?
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    I think it was the Artist or Deluxe or whatever that had the Moog guts? I think the standard was normal electronics? RDs are very cool looking things.
  • andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2197
    A friend has a '79 artist, mint in the original case, all moog circuitry intact. Heavy but it really sings and plays brilliantly.

I really got on with it, takes a bit of practice to get the hang of the controls but I found the sustainer was really good.

• XWulfhereXWulfhere Frets: 416
    Gamlins in Cardiff had one in about a year ago!
    And you know what else? Those safety lids on bottles of sanatogen. There I am trying to get the lid off and along comes my six year old and says "there you are daddy" and it's off in a Jiffy. Someone's gonna get hurt.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72531
    edited June 2015
    Heavy, ungainly, toneless and the onboard electronics are odd and not very useful - the expander especially, the compressor isn't quite so bad. At least the last one that was in the shop was like that - awful thing to play. But it did look cool…

I don't really see the point of the electronics, if you want a compressor/expander, you'd be much better off with a pedal.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• martmart Frets: 5205
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • XWulfhereXWulfhere Frets: 416
    mart said:
    Looked in really good condition when I saw it. That's a really good price if you're into a bit of experimentation!
    And you know what else? Those safety lids on bottles of sanatogen. There I am trying to get the lid off and along comes my six year old and says "there you are daddy" and it's off in a Jiffy. Someone's gonna get hurt.
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    A friend of mine has one of the SG's that they made with the RD electronics. It feels much more substantial than a regular SG and weighs a fecking ton! 
    Apparently there were very few of these made, and it's not hard to see why. In the few times I've tried it, I've found the electronics to be interesting but not that useful.
  • JohnnyPlectrumJohnnyPlectrum Frets: 334
    edited June 2015
    Had an RD Artist for a while - another of my bucket list.
    Didn't get on with the scale length and had to accept that the seventies were not good for Gibson.
    Hard to find, harder to shift, values very variable, full moog electronics not particularly impressive but a potential nightmare.
    Very much caught in that Marauder, S1, Grabber timewarp.