Mac OSX Mavericks

What's Hot
ICBMICBM Frets: 73099
Stupid name. Obviously they've run out of big cats.

Anyone tried it yet?

I'm not about to - I don't like being a guinea pig, and the Apple discussion forums are full of issues at the moment - but I was wondering if it's as much like Windows 8 For Mac as I got the impression of from some of the changes they've made...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• wibblewibble Frets: 1112
    Been running it a while, no problems with it.

Apart from being free, more battery life, memory compression, more memory (and dynamic) for integrated graphics. What's not to like? iCloud keychain is very handy too.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    God I am out of date, I'm still on 10.6 Snow Leopard (nice kitty).
    Anything later won't run my Power PC software, so I am kind of stuck.
    Guess they won't be supporting this OS version with any tweaks now.

On the subject of upgrading to -what- Mavericks -your'e pulling my...-  who thought of that catchy title?

Personally I would always wait an iteration or two for the major bugs to be quashed.
    That is unless you really *need* something in the new OS.
    But then I am not the ideal roll model, or customer either am I ?
    ;)

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73099
    I'd stay where you are until you have to move - Snow Leopard was a very good OS. Lion was a mess - there were still unresolved issues right up to the last update - but Mountain Lion seems rock-solid for me, and I don't think I need any of the new features yet since I'm on a desktop which is only a couple of years old and won't need replacing soon.

If your machine can't run Mountain Lion I'd probably avoid Lion. I am definitely interested in any good feedback on Mavericks though, since I might want to get a new laptop at some point.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33990
    No issues for me here- but I won't be installing it on the studio computer for a while.
    For my MBA though it is great and I now get 15 hours of battery life.

15 HOURS!

The name comes from a San Fran beach area- yes Tim Cook acknowledged they ran out of big cats.
    octatonic said:
    yes Tim Cook acknowledged they ran out of big cats.
    I was hoping for Ocelot, or maybe Lynx... maybe they're not big enough :).

• Installed earlier in the week.  Seems OK.  

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17918
    tFB Trader
    Most of the Macs in my office have gone to it and it seems decent. 
    My Mac is too old and is stranded on Lion :(

A huge jump forward to me as it has tabbed finder (so I can get rid of totalfinder) and multi monitor Spaces. Now all I have to do is convince work to buy me a new Macbook.
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3299
    I leave it a while now since the Lion update which left my Apogee Duet needing workarounds for a month. 
    Deijavoo said:
    I leave it a while now since the Lion update which left my Apogee Duet needing workarounds for a month. 
    Same here after the one which disabled my home wi-fi network and internet sharing, and required a full system Time Machine restore to the last version to fix. They never did sort it as far as I know from the Apple forums - I just turned off Software Update until Mountain Lion came out and then went straight to it once it was reported to be OK.

I haven't upgraded my phone to iOS7 yet either for that matter… 6 works absolutely fine, and there are still issues being reported with 7.

"It just works"

I'll go the Hackintosh route next time I think.
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 929
    Put it on today so i could get the latest garageband. Seems cool so far, and the new drummer feature in garageband is ace.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FYI...seems there are a few bugs in Mail. Looks like it doesn't play well with IMAP, Exchange or GMail. That'll be...just about everybody, then:

<space for hire>
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7214
    Since I work for quite a fruity technology company I have been running it for a while.

As usual make sure your audio card drivers etc have been tested before making the plunge and for god's sake BACK UP before you do it.

Simple really.

Oh and its working fine on all my systems.
    Guitar Bomb & Nembrini Audio Summer Giveaway 
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8574
    stonevibe said:
    Since I work for quite a fruity technology company

????

http://i1137.photobucket.com/albums/n505/dindude/orange-PC_zpsc9d4c9b2.jpg

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • wibblewibble Frets: 1112
    FYI...seems there are a few bugs in Mail. Looks like it doesn't play well with IMAP, Exchange or GMail. That'll be...just about everybody, then:

Google requested API changes since they don't use IMAP the same way as everybody else does!

Anyway there's plenty of other email clients you can install if you don't like the default Mail.
    Airmail is good.

• wibble said:
    Google requested API changes since they don't use IMAP the same way as everybody else does!

Anyway there's plenty of other email clients you can install if you don't like the default Mail.
    Airmail is good.

Aye, but that doesn't account for the problems with FastMail or Exchange.

In truth, I neither know nor care about it, 'cos I use a system that actually works ;) Just posting it in here as an FYI in case anybody comes across similar problems.
    <space for hire>
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 929

My Mac's slower to start up now (by a few seconds, still light years faster than a PC), and the new garageband has crashed on me a couple of times, requiring a fore quit.

Seems just a little slower in general, but I guess I'll get used to it. My Mac's about 2 years old?

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I'll repeat what I said on the Sneap forums: Say hello to sandboxed AU's... *facepalm*

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392159&highlight=

Essentially it means plugins will not be able to access the deeper workings of the file-system, and they wont be able to call external processes, nor will it be able to communicate with other processes... meaning even something as simple as authorizing a plugin from your host all of a sudden becomes a MASSIVE ballache for the user and developer alike. You can't even elevate your permissions temporarily (very common during an installation) without digital signatures from Apple.

I don't know for certain, but it looks like Apple are trying to push all audiounits to go through the app store, because they want their 30% cut - at which point... goodbye 3rd party plugins for Logic!

It would be uncouth of me to make a Nazi-Party comparison right now.... I'll leave Godwin at the door.

Thing is, it may sound like scare tactics... but I think back to how they basically fucked all the Emagic customers in the ass. I know a guy who sunk a lot of money into his Logic Platinum setup over the years, for them to basically brick his shit and screw his update path overnight.

He moved to Cubase and Ableton Live soon after!!
    Ah don't say that, I love Logic.
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    ICBM said:
    I'd stay where you are until you have to move - Snow Leopard was a very good OS. Lion was a mess - there were still unresolved issues right up to the last update - but Mountain Lion seems rock-solid for me, and I don't think I need any of the new features yet since I'm on a desktop which is only a couple of years old and won't need replacing soon.

If your machine can't run Mountain Lion I'd probably avoid Lion. I am definitely interested in any good feedback on Mavericks though, since I might want to get a new laptop at some point.

I'm on Mountain right now...

more than once I've considered going back to Snow

play every note as if it were your first