Caline CP-16 Mark 4 Distortion

What's Hot
Rock_ZorroRock_Zorro Frets: 7
Does anybody know what this pedal might be based on?

It seems Caline pedals are clones of other pedals, the Orange Burst for example is purportedly a copy of an Xotic BB Preamp.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4640
    The word on the street is it supposed to sound like a Mesa Boogie Mark IV amp
  • I was wondering more about where the circuit had been ripped off from, assuming this pedal isn’t an original design. I’ve not seen any other dirt pedals which look similar.
    Ah ok, i'll keep looking for ya
    edited June 2015
    This one here says it's based on the gain stage of the Mesa Boogie Mark 4, I can't find anything saying it is based on another pedal

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks! It possibly is an original design then - or more original than a straight pedal like-for-like clone. Maybe a schematic which appeared on a DIY forum somewhere.

I’ve ordered one anyway because it’s different and Caline pedals receive generally positive reviews considering their uber-cheap price.
    Good idea, my Caline Pure Sky is delightful and i use it as my clean tone but there is also gain there if i need it.
  • I’ve now found where the Caline Mark 4 originates. They are copies of the Japanese brand Noah’s Ark Distortion ‘B’ pedal. The B presumably stands for Boogie.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2400
    ^ interesting, that's some good detective work there. :)
  • Rock_ZorroRock_Zorro Frets: 7
    edited July 2015
    Ta. It’s difficult to say who’s making what for who. The circuit boards in the Noah’s Ark pedals are marked IKEBE for the Japanese company which sells them. The Caline circuit boards are marked Caline but both pedals use through hole components as opposed to surface mount. The Jap pedals also retail for the equivalent of around £40.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2400
    Ah- so in that case they might not be cheaper clones, and might just be the same product made by the same company, but rebranded?
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    As far as I understood Chinese manufacturers trying to establish the 'original' manufacturer is a futile task.