Not enough metal

What's Hot

Comments

• SamgbSamgb Frets: 774
    samzadgan said:
    ...although there is a writer from metal hammer on the forum...there's a maker of Black machine...there's current and previous makers of Matamps (most doom of all amps)...there's a famous guitarist from a band called Tacoma something something...and there's me...

i think its plenty metal!
    Its multi-generational metal on here isnt? The modern stuff + the old farts stuff. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 769
    edited July 2015
    Not enough proto punk for me : >

here's some old fart's metal :

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7827
    Goddamit, There was a Dimebag riff I used to love playing, it was all bends and pinched harmonics - can't for the life of me remember what is was... that's my day ruined till I remember...

samzadgan said:
    Samgb said:
    Philly_Q said:
    I have to admit, most modern metal doesn't really do anything for me.  There are quite a few new(ish) bands I like, but they all make records which sound like it's still 1973.

This. 

I have to admit to having no idea what 'djent' is. Is it some kind of middle eastern spirit? 

Even the modern metal bands that people rave about i think are pretty terrible. Its a generational thing isnt it? Im not 40 until saturday(gulp)but i have been passed by.  
    i find the doom metal side of things is where metal has progressed in the best way...to my taste anyway. I lost interest in metal for a while, then i found the doom side, and have really got back into it...

other modern metal doesnt really interest me at all...and i'm about the same age as you...

also...take the T of Djent and yeah...thats what iranians call ghosts...
    I know mate i was kidding! 
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Samgb said:
    I just snorted coke of my cornflakes. 

You are a true legend stuck in the 80's :D     ^:)^

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    mike_l said:
    Samgb said:
    I just snorted coke off Lita Ford's tits while eating my cornflakes. 

You are a true legend stuck in the 80's :D     ^:)^
    Fixed
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited July 2015
    Goddamit, There was a Dimebag riff I used to love playing, it was all bends and pinched harmonics - can't for the life of me remember what is was... that's my day ruined till I remember...

Cemetery Gates? (1:30)

Also has one of Dime's best solos at 4:50, absolutely stunning bit of playing.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7827
    edited July 2015
    Bucket said:

Cemetery Gates? (1:30)

Also has one of Dime's best solos at 4:50, absolutely stunning bit of playing.
    YES! That is one of my all time favorite riffs! THANKYOU!
    Thought it was a bending riff but no - just those pinched harmonics. Wow need to relearn it :) 
  • I’m mid forties and thanks to the wonderful thing that is Internet radio I’ve been listening a lot to eighties Thrash metal. It’s the music which first got me interested in playing guitar. Bands like Anthrax, Exodus, Annihilator and Sepultura. 

I remember reading somewhere the music you listen to when you are eighteen is the music which stays with you the longest. In my case, it’s true.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11734
    tFB Trader
    I've ben a bit unimpressed with a lot of the recent bunch of new rock and metal bands - because few of them have a singer who can sing - or chooses to sing.

I guess growing up listening to Queen, Kiss, Deep Purple, Led Zep , Fleetwood Mac, ELO, etc etc made me value good vocals.
    I know a few of the bands I did enjoy in the 1980s may have been a bit questionable : Wasp /Motley etc and maybe a few of the glam bands did get a bit formulaic in the end but there was no shortage of good singers - whether it be Geoff Tate, Danny Bowes etc

I find the current bands who have2 singers - one a bit whiny emo and the other a total cookie monster screamer/shouter totally tedious
    It was something that seemed to have started with linkin Park and now almost every band does it.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

@FelineGuitars Geoff Tate is still a better singer than a lot of younger guys. Shame he's turned into a massive  bellbadger.

Have you heard Todd LaTorre, the current Queensryche singer? Very similar to a younger G.T.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

tFB Trader
    Oh yes - Todd is amazing 
    I thought Geoff was the best in the early QR days - got heavily into them back in 1984 when Quen of the Ryche came out.
    Sad I missed seeing him in Crimson Glory , but did see him with QR two years ago and am going to see them again in August

A taster for those who've not seen

Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

I'm going to try ot see QR in August.

I'll let you know if I get tickets, I'd have a beer with you before the show.

^:)^

• GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 773
    If you could recommend some good New Metal, I'm all ears.......

Appreciated Guy.
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3695
    Not enough proto punk for me : >

I love that stuff.

MC5 and Sonics fan also.
    :)
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    There is a huge amount of awesome metal out there and its easier to find and listen to than ever before - you just have to have your antennae up and the interest to look for it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Also the last 3 Accept albums with new singer Mark Tornillo are amazing.
    Melodic and aggressive and the guitar solos - holy shit!

I've ben a bit unimpressed with a lot of the recent bunch of new rock and metal bands - because few of them have a singer who can sing - or chooses to sing.

I guess growing up listening to Queen, Kiss, Deep Purple, Led Zep , Fleetwood Mac, ELO, etc etc made me value good vocals.
    I know a few of the bands I did enjoy in the 1980s may have been a bit questionable : Wasp /Motley etc and maybe a few of the glam bands did get a bit formulaic in the end but there was no shortage of good singers - whether it be Geoff Tate, Danny Bowes etc

I find the current bands who have2 singers - one a bit whiny emo and the other a total cookie monster screamer/shouter totally tedious
    It was something that seemed to have started with linkin Park and now almost every band does it.
    The voice thing is part of the turn off for me. Its either Cookie Monster or Myles Kennedy/Muse whining. I appreciate that Myles and the muse guy can sing but the tone just grates on me 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23575
    edited July 2015
    samzadgan said:
    Samgb said:
    Philly_Q said:
    I have to admit, most modern metal doesn't really do anything for me.  There are quite a few new(ish) bands I like, but they all make records which sound like it's still 1973.

This. 

I have to admit to having no idea what 'djent' is. Is it some kind of middle eastern spirit? 

Even the modern metal bands that people rave about i think are pretty terrible. Its a generational thing isnt it? Im not 40 until saturday(gulp)but i have been passed by.  
    i find the doom metal side of things is where metal has progressed in the best way...to my taste anyway. I lost interest in metal for a while, then i found the doom side, and have really got back into it...

The new bands I like are slightly doomy - in the sense of the 1970s, Black Sabbath influence, to a very large extent - but more from the psychedelic, bluesy, melodic end of the spectrum. 

Blood Ceremony, Witchcraft, Mount Salem, Royal Thunder, Ruby the Hatchet, Kadavar, Graveyard, Orchid, Siena Root, Vintage Caravan, Elder, Earthless, Windhand, Mars Red Sky.... all good stuff and not an emo or cookie monster in sight.

• Rock_ZorroRock_Zorro Frets: 7
    edited July 2015
    GuyBoden said:
    If you could recommend some good New Metal, I'm all ears.......

Appreciated Guy.
    I like Sylosis, from Reading.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom