SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

recommend a courier?

What's Hot
HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15999

any advice for me....?

there is a guitar (eBay deal) in Dorset I quite like, pick up only, but the guy has said he will post if I organise postage and pick up and stuff. 

£500 guitar......how does the insurance malarkey work and who would you recommend to transport the guitar?

thanks cats

tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RevMattRevMatt Frets: 839

I always go with UPS or DPD for guitars - shipped loads and never had a problem. I book through www.interparcel.com . The basic shipping cost for guitar sized package is about £10 for 24-48 hrs and then you can upgrade by adding insurance (£6 per £250 of cover).

So long as the buyer is happy to pack it (if it's in a hard case just simple packing should be okay) and be around for a courier to collect it should be fine. However, just be aware that most of the couriers I use require you to print a shipping label, so if using a service like that, you'll either need to work well in advance and post the label to the seller, or ask the seller if you can email it to them for them to print it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15999

you saying that post plus insurance would come to £22?

yes?.....that's a very good price

tae be or not tae be
    thanks Matt
    tae be or not tae be
  • clarke_111clarke_111 Frets: 58
    +1 to the above. Tried for the first time last week-went with ups via interpacel. Came to £25 all in although I stuck to basic insurance as didn't trust i d get a payout even if the worst came to the worst.

Guitar came through perfectly, although in TonyR from here I worked with a great packer, who was also really helpful re printing labels etc.

The service from interpacel/ups was excellent though. One issue - I was given a very large delivery window (8am - 8pm) which is not great if you have places to be. Think dpd are better in that regard

Cheers

Chris
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    make sure he knows how to pack it up properly. Even if you're paying for it and booking the courier. In the event of a claim the courier will usually say it wasn't properly packed. Do just make sure he's not just going to stick it in a bin bag.
    thanks all :)
    tae be or not tae be
  • minimoogminimoog Frets: 128
    I found a brilliant sole-trader courier through Anyvan.com. Might be worth a look on there?
  • TonyRTonyR Frets: 908
    My new Gretsch arrived in perfect condition last week after being shipped via UPS - it was originally going to be shipped through Parcel Force but when the chap doing the shipping found I didn't trust Parcel Force with a rather expensive guitar he obviously decided today use UPS instead, with which I was much happier. :)
    We are all Chameleons...
  • uncledickuncledick Frets: 406
    Always check the small print.  Several companies including ParcelForce will accept additional premiums to cover insurance and then specifically exclude musical instruments.  @ADP on here sent my McCarty via DPD which worked out great.
  • MikeBMikeB Frets: 176
    +1 for using Interparcel. Found service to be good as a broker and ended up with UPS on the two occasions I've sent a guitar. No problems either time.
  • clarke_111clarke_111 Frets: 58
    I also asked the sender to take photos of the packing process which they very kindly provided (thanks Tony!). These could have been used as proof of the packing process, and that the instrument was fine when packed. No good if the insurance excludes musical instruments though!
  • surfguy13surfguy13 Frets: 133
    There is only one courier I would bother with in the UK and that's:

http://www.clickandsendparcel.com/

I have used them for years and years and have an a/c with them.  Faultless service.  never had a single problem and they are incredibly cheap.  I always use UPS through them and as a company UPS offer the best service bar none.  I've sent everything from guitars in the UK to 4x12 cabs and PA cabs to france and amp heads to australia, usa, france, germany and japan.

The other option is Transglobal Express....I have an a/c with them too and they are brilliant.  Their international prices beat the shit out of anyone else.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16186
    UPS BY MILES THE BEST