"low wind" pickups

What's Hot

As a general rule, are you better off using 'low wind' pickups if you mainly play with a lot of OD?

My definition of OD is a cranked 1959SL, think Zep, Kossoff, Beano tones.

For example, Bare Knuckle Stormy Monday (low wind, A II magnets) rather than Mules (A IV magents with a higher output wind).

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214

I prefer the tone although it isn't without issues

My favourite pickup for that kind of sound are Seth Lovers but I have to say I'm getting great tones out of EVH Frankenstein Humbuckers

I don't know what the out put is (they feel slightly hotter) but they sing very very nicely into an overdriven amp

I bought another two after I fitted the first one

• The DiMarzio hs3's are righteous too (albeit sc sized)...
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2371
    Depends on the type of tone you're after. For the stuff you're playing you could make an argument that vintage output is probably what you want- though you'd need to determine whether "low wind" means "vintage output" or "even lower than vintage output" for each pickup you're looking at.

I haven't tried either but I don't think mules are considered to be hot, they're PAF-types. Granted, the SMs might be even slightly lower, since PAFs varied as far as I'm aware.

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7345
    Lower wound PUPs are better for rhythm work as the jangliness and 'tight chop' is everything - you can't get these cut thru mix tones with hot HBs or heavy Mid single coils.
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • I have a set of BK PG Blues, but I'm not liking the neck pickup, it has a bit too much bass. I have decided to get a BK Stormy Monday for the neck, to pair with the PG Blues Bridge. This gives me a nice combination with a brighter neck. Both Bridge and Neck will be vintage output, both using Alnico II mags.

The neck will be double cream, uncovered, with 4 conductor wiring. I've got a push/push switch for the neck tone pot which I can use to switch to OOP for the times I need it.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • This is the guitar, a CC#15 Greg Martin. The pickups in the picture are the PG Blues.

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i331/db3266/Gibson CC15/Upgrades/P1020110_zps7zquua6g.jpg

I had a set of Mules in my previous LP, it was a CC#7 Shanks. That guitar was a very bright guitar and suited the Mules. The CC15 is a bit different and I think might suit a slightly brighter set of pickups.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom