Another excuse to buy another guitar

What's Hot
The Pound to Euro exchange rate is very good at the moment. 

In July 2013 a guitar priced at 500 Euros cost £431 to buy. Same 500 Euro guitar bought today - £354 of your British notes. The actual rate is 1 pound to 1.41 Euro which is not far behind the brief ten year high of 1.5 recorded in 2007.

I don’t know enough about currency markets to know if this is going to last, or even improve further, although clearly what’s happening in Greece must be having an influence of some sort.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27243
    Sure, but not many guitars are made in the Eurozone, so the majority have also had hefty price increases over the same period...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7345
    Are there any Greek Guitar retailers we should know about??
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Unfortunately I've noticed Thomann prices have rocketed recently instead of dropping. Take the LTD KH-602 guitar... That was as low as £750 about 2 months ago, now it's almost £900. Same with most other items I checked. Looks like prices on average have risen 20% across the board.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3431
    I've noticed thomann prices going up a bit too recently.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72664
    edited July 2015
    57Deluxe said:
    Are there any Greek Guitar retailers we should know about??
    https://www.facebook.com/TheGuitarShopPolydorou/info?tab=overview

Do you think we should make a noble contribution to our fellow Europeans and buy the whole stock if they have to leave the Euro?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• johnonguitarjohnonguitar Frets: 1243
    Yup Thomanns been going up ever so slightly recently
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2612
    edited July 2015
    The £ has weakened against the USD.  That is much more significant for the buying of guitars.  A year ago I was regularly checking out US sites for guitars.  Now I can hardly be bothered because at the current ER a US guitar is unlikely to look value for money in UK terms once you factor in shipping and taxes.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • Yeah, points taken about most guitar manufacturing being outside of the eurozone. I’ve checked a few prices on Thomann from July 2013 using the way back machine and they are closer than I expected. 
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 559
    Kemper profiler at Thomann are as low as I have seen them.

• bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 616
    The £ has weakened against the USD.  That is much more significant for the buying of guitars.  A year ago I was regularly checking out US sites for guitars.  Now I can hardly be bothered because at the current ER a US guitar is unlikely to look value for money in UK terms once you factor in shipping and taxes.
    Likely to continue to slip too........The uncertainty in the Eurozone especially with the Greek farce going on investors are seeking a safe haven in the US $ and that is why the dollar has strengthened.