Raygun Relics - any cop?

What's Hot
minimoogminimoog Frets: 128
I'm gassing for a P90 LP/Melody Maker/Junior type thing. The Raygun Relics Juniors look interesting. Obviously the superb finishing is a given, but what are they like to play and how do they sound? I understand they are basically some generic no-brand Chinese things. 

Cool finish to one side, why would I want one of those over a genuine Gibson...?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2899
    Cos they a lot cheaper but look pretty cool and have good pickups in ?
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    @Bucket just got one
    Stop crying, start buying
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    I sent my USACG Bass VI to Raygun for a refin and he rebuilt it and set it up afterwards - really good work even with the trem setup and the nut stuff, it being a lefty.
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • They're excellent. I've had two.
    A yellow SG Jr
    http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b625/stimpsonslostson/Mobile Uploads/25E054DB-033C-4596-BD56-9ECA74B3E837_zps8iwlkbbm.jpg

& A Vintage Lemon Drop.
    http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b625/stimpsonslostson/Mobile Uploads/image_zps42769d96.jpg

I think both are a significant improvement over the original guitar (I dislike poly finish). The relic work looks realistic & @GrahamM will do it to the spec you want- aged, worn or Rory Gallagher.
    He's lovely to deal with too.

I sold the SG as I eventually realised that I don't find them comfortable. I replaced it with a Gibson LP Jr, which I don't consider to be an improvement (other than it being a LP not an SG).
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3641
    His prices seem very reasonable but I guess you are paying for the finish and the replacement pickups so I would imagine the original guitars are very cheap to enable any margin for the maker.

I am not  a relic fan myself but I must say RR's stuff looks very good indeed and are very well priced.

If it takes your fancy you could of course buy a used Gibson faded special/Jr for not much more and I would guess resale (if that enters your mind) would be better too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • minimoogminimoog Frets: 128
    If it takes your fancy you could of course buy a used Gibson faded special/Jr for not much more and I would guess resale (if that enters your mind) would be better too. 
    Zackly. This is why I'm looking for a opinions on actual playability and quality of the thing, because there isn't a lot in it price-wise if going used.

Thanks for the comments so far  :)
  • Both of mine started out life as Vintage brand guitars & as such have a known level of quality: I believe "very good for the money" is the phrase.
    I've not heard any negative reports about his more recent products either, but know nothing about their provenance.

I got the Gibson rather than a Raygun LP Jr (I did get aquote for the spec I wanted) for the simple reason that a good one came up locally & I couldn't pass up the chance to buy my first real Gibson. As you say, price wise a new Raygun & second hand Gibson are both £400ish... If you fear that you might sell it in the future then the Gibson makes sense, but I don think the Raygun would depreciate any worse than another new guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Cheers for that. As an aside I bought a Vintage Lemon Drop but sent it back cos it buzzed like crazy. The shop that sold it couldn't improve it either so I got a refund. Guess I got lemon. Hoho.

Resale is a consideration tbh, but I do love the look of the black DC Jnr he's got at the moment. I'm guessing having a Lollar put in in place of the Mojo wouldn't be an issue either. Hmm...  :-?
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    That headstock is hilarius, you need to get rid of that decal, not because of fraud etc, just because it looks so daft!! :P
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • :\"> I know. It's the only thing I don't like about the guitar- I got it second hand.
    I wish it said Raygun or even Vintage.
    My skills aren't up to replacing it though.
  • NomadNomad Frets: 549
    I think both are a significant improvement over the original guitar (I dislike poly finish).
    Was the finish stripped on the Lemon Drop? If so, what was put on its place?

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

• fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5073
    I think the Raygun LP Jrs look great except that the pickup position is slightly forward from where it would be in a Gibson. I don't know if that might have a small effect on the sound/tone?
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited July 2015
    Mine sounds great, and looks great (obviously)... the neck is super, super comfortable, might be my favourite profile of any of the guitars I own in fact. Nice and chunky but not ridiculously so, and with a lovely kind of narrow D profile.

It's very light, perhaps a little too light but it's better balanced than the SG I used to have (which Graham now has and I believe he's refinished it - looks great!). The DC still needs a little bit of a set-up perhaps, but it's not a bad playing guitar by any means. It'll be great.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Was that new from RR then Bucket? What's off with the setup?
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited July 2015
    minimoog said: Was that new from RR then Bucket? What's off with the setup?

It's new yeah... nothing's actually off, the action just can't go quite as low as I'd like - yet. I like it
    very low, currently it's only quite low.

Still plays fine - I gigged it the other night and many people watching said afterwards that they were impressed by it. And all of them were stunned when I told them how much it cost...
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2015

Cool, thanks. Good info.
  • LewliganLewligan Frets: 544
    Here's my Esquire/Tele Custom hybrid sorta thing :)

The pickup is a BKP Rebel Yell.

Well impressed with it, and it only set me back £250 (second hand).
    Action just needs lowering a touch as the previous owner liked it a bit higher than I do.

It's quite heavy, but not uncomfortably heavy!

The neck is a dream.
    Fairly chunky and beautifully reliced.

Can't wait to gig with it!
    Check out my Fretboard Trading Feedback HERE!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7345
    minimoog said:
    I'm gassing for a P90 LP/Melody Maker/Junior type thing. The Raygun Relics Juniors look interesting. Obviously the superb finishing is a given, but what are they like to play and how do they sound? I understand they are basically some generic no-brand Chinese things. 

Cool finish to one side, why would I want one of those over a genuine Gibson...?

+1 My thoughts exactly. Apart from the undoubted finish and a Mojo Pup, are they set up OK? cos all of this is mute if it is a really cheap and badly setup plank from the start. I mean for £90 I could import my own and add a Mojo and sandpaper he fucker to bits and cover in Prit and play out of tune constantly...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>