Real OCD or one of the clones?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• HoraceBHoraceB Frets: 339
    I have an Utimate Drive and really like it but I tried an OCD I found it much more to my liking, more defined somehow, tighter bass and it seems to work better with my amp (Two Rock) but I'm using it in the 18v setting so that may have something to to do with it. Hence the reason why my Ultimate Drive is currently residing in the in the classifieds ;) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2386
    Dave_Mc;69270" said:
    gearaddict said:

Yes, I have the Danno Transparent OD (gold one) version 1 (which is supposedly the closest to the Timmy). It's the best overdrive I have tried. It really is transparent. It just gives you 'more' of the things you want, depending on how you set the controls. You can't get these any more so I don't know what I would do if it broke...buy a Timmy I guess!

I was thinking about getting the Drive (silver one) for distortion pedal duties just beause I like the gold one so much and it is supposed to be an OCD clone...although maybe the v2 is less of a clone than the v1.

I'd heard the v2s had changed (they were changed because they were found out to be clones, but obviously how much they changed them is another thing), but I haven't seen a schematic for them.

I agree, the v1 transparent od is very, very good.
    Rather hilariously, it was ridiculed and laughed at as cheap, nasty, fizzy etc when it first came out. Then the schematic was revealed and... Well, you know the rest.
    :)) Yeah that sounds about par for the course.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11488
    They should have gooped it, painted the box, and quadrupled the price.  Worked for Freekish Blues!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2386
    :))
  • I've got the Joyo one and think it sounds pretty nice. 

Here's a demo I did of it ages ago.

• EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Ive got a hustle drive. Very decent pedal. 
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2336
    Get the fulltone plimsoul. Much more versatile and less fussy than the ocd imo. Had the dano one and really thought it was decidedly average. Plus the controls are a pita.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11488
    Matter of taste.  I definitely prefer the OCD.  My Plimsoul is on Ebay.
  •   I have both OCD and Plimsoul as well.  The OCD is my go to dirt pedal for just about everything.  I use it on it's own and to boost a distortion pedal- works a charm for both applications.  So far, I've run mine only at 9 volts.

The Plimsoul is pretty new to me and I haven't used it too much.  Both are worth seeking out and putting through their paces.

I also own 3 different MXR firt pedals, the '78 distortion, Modified Overdrive, and the Classic Distortion, which is a Guitar Center special that I believe is actually a distortion III.  All three are pretty different from each other.  I wasn't that impressed with the Classic- until I ran it into an already dirty amp.  Now I love it!  Not a super dirty pedal on it's own, but it does add more of the good stuff to your tone.  Into a driven amp, it kicks things up a notch or two to a whole new level.  The '78 is the one I like best for boosting with the OCD.  That's for when you want to make it scream and howl!