Darkening fingerboard

What's Hot
Any suggestions for darkening a rosewood fingerboard to look more like ebony?  I could stain it but would expect black fingers from the water based stain I have.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CorvusCorvus Frets: 2956
    tFB Trader

Clean the board really well. Put on the dye, let dry. Then linseed oil. Thin coat first, let it sit a night. Do again next day. Let it sit a few days, a week even - make sure the linseed is totally dry, it stays tacky for a long time. If put on thick it takes ages, better to sneak up on it with thin coats. Clean off the frets before it sets, dried linseed will feel horrible on them. Then oil the board as normal.

I've had zero dye come off this way and the boards look & feel good. Before trying out linseed the coloured fingers always happened. It doesn't seem to matter who made the dye either, once sealed with linseed it stays put.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16793
    edited July 2015
    Fiebings leather dye works great, its the stuff used by the big factories for making ebony black.

If used on raw wood and given a rub with fine 0000 wire wool it doesn't come off. A used guitar will need a rub with naptha first to remove any contamination

As bill at says, oil is good insurance against black fingers, although it can lift some stains.... Won't usually lighten the fiebings much at all. I go with danish oil, left 5 mins and buffed off. Playable in a lot less time
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2956
    tFB Trader
    I'll give the Danish a go, sounds good. I had the linseed there so used that but a faster dry sounds good.
    here is one i did with the fiebings - rosewood to faux ebony.  it was a quick project for someone and they didn't want to wait for an ebony fretboard neck to be made, but wanted the clean look

I have also just taken a pic of my 50's archtop.   i replaced the fretboard whilst strengthening the neck about 5 years ago.   I used a piece of dull looking purpleheart and stained it black.  its had a lot of regular playing since then and is just starting to wear through slightly on the edges.  I could re stain it, but it probably looks more natural like this

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28346
    Done it twice with Fiebings. Very pleased with the results. The key point is don't get it where you don't want it!

This was my last one: image
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    @WezV - that tele is beautifully understated and oozes quality. Well done Sir!
    Chalky said:
    @WezV - that tele is beautifully understated and oozes quality. Well done Sir!
    thank you

axisus said:
    The key point is don't get it where you don't want it!

Very good point, it does get everywhere.  thankfully it cleans of frets and (most) inlays without issues
  • JohnBJohnB Frets: 121
    Thanks all - leather dye it is
  • mesatelemesatele Frets: 27

WezV

What colour fieblings did you use on that tele. Was it black?

How did you clean it off the dots? Is it just a case of wiping off before it drys.

Thanks.

It looks great by the way!!

yeah, black.

After the leather dye is dry you need to rub it back with 0000 wire wool.   comes off plastic and pearl without issues, but i wouldn't want to try it on something like authentic fender clay (harvite) dots. 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12434
    That Tele is very saucy. Nice work Wez.