Charvel San Dimas HS hardtail. Thoughts?

What's Hot
Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1408
I sold a Charvel pointy headed strat years ago, but always held a soft spot for the generally good quality of Charvels.

I came across some videos of the San Dimas HS hardtail, and it looks good first of all! Seymour Duncans etc, so you know what you're getting.

A nice alternative to a strat perhaps? Unfortunately, most of the videos are guys playing heavy metal or shredding. That wouldn't be my music as such. I'd imagine it could still be a versatile enough guitar. A hardtail would also appeal.

In two minds about saving some $$$ and going for one. (Or else stick some SDs into my blacktop Jag!)

Anyone play one?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

The Pro-mod series is good, Japanese made, preferably. The Japanese have no back-route on the Floyd, the Mexican made ones do.

Real easy to play, awesome sounds.

Failing that, have a look for an 80's model.

I might be worth looking at the Jackson and ESP ranges as well.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1408
    Yeah, the Mexican ones appear to be pricey, for a Mexican guitar. But yeah, pretty much any Charvel I played always had nice necks, so this one has piqued my interest.

I sold a strat recently, wasn't my thing, but this one has my interest based on demos so far.

I'd be steering clear of a Floyd, it's the hardtail one I'd be after. Reminds of one of the Jerry Cantrell G&Ls in looks....

I haven't tried a MIM, but I have been told they don't feel as good as the Japanese, it was photek who telled me this, comparing mine (3 YO, Japanese) to a current (Mexican) one in a shop.

Have a look for an 80's American model, there's some cracking guitars around for not much dollar

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

Also hear the new ones, you have to take off the neck to adjust the truss rod?

Mine you don't, I'm not sure about the Mexicans. I think they're the same spec as the Japanese, so headstock end T/R adjustment.

• MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    Pro Mods all have the adjustment at the body end

I've had plenty of Charvels - they are my favorite!  Like any guitar I'd say try a few and see what you think as they will all feel different, even 2 from the same place.  

I did prefer the FR route on the Japanese ones as I set them hard onto the body. Can't do this on the Mexican ones.  Other than that they are very similar specifications.  

This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

• StevepageStevepage Frets: 3072
    edited July 2015
    Mexican models are just as good. Even a guy in andertons mistook my mexican So Cal for a US version when he played it. I'd gladly buy another.
    Are there many places UK wide (general question I know!) stocking the HS hardtail San Dimas?
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3072
    Guitarguitar, andertons, coda music, guitar village, richtone and soundsgreatmusic all have them
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bluechargeboybluechargeboy Frets: 1906
    The Charvel site would seem to indicate that the hardtail HS models have a polyester neck finish, not oiled. Booooo! :(
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3103
    Yup, @Stevepage 's MIM was wicked when I tried it a few weeks ago. I actually preferred it to a number of FAR more expensive guitars I tried that day.