In praise of cheap guitars... Aiersi Thinline Tele

BabyfrankBabyfrank Frets: 40
Picked up this little beauty from a guy on Facebook who imports from a Chinese company called Aiersi.

photo IMG_20150708_135238740.jpg

Original guitar was £95 including delivery, and on arrival I was blown away with the quality of the guitar for the amount paid... It was playable out of the box, but I've made a couple of mods as follows

Replaced the Tunomatic with a roller bridge, because Bigsby style Vibrato's really need them, I think.

Fitted some Wilkinson EZ Lock tuners; the stock ones were fine, I just like the EZ lock for quick restringing.

Fitted new "Witch Hat" style knobs, to bring it closer to the JA90 original that it's obviously emulating.

Didn't touch the pickups yet as they sound fine, and work well at gig volume with no squealing or microphonics.

So, for a total outlay of £140 I've got a very
playable and fun thinline Tele.

Here's a more detailed pic;

photo IMG_20150708_135255815_HDR.jpg

I never cease to be amazed at what's coming out of China these days...

Cheers
BabyFrank
0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    I like that.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2429
    Nice!
    I saw these on FB, he does a mean looking tv yellow DCalike for not much money, very tempting.
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    I REALLY like that. For the money it's an absolute win.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2382
    Very nice! In the first pic I thought it was white, but from the second pic I'm guessing it's a natural finish with a flamed maple top?
  • BabyfrankBabyfrank Frets: 40
    Yes, looks like a maple veneer on the top. He had then in a transparent black finish too, but I didn't get in quick enough for one of those. Still like the natural finish though...
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3299
    Nice!
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Link to the guys page?
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
    tFB Trader
    Are the frets ok? I bought a neck off the same guy and it was terrible. Looked like someone had used a flat head screwdriver to bash the frets in. Also bought an acoustic which went straight back as the body felt like it hadn't been touched with sandpaper and the bottom E didn't work through the piezo. Put me off trying him again, although I've seen others who were more than happy with his stuff.

I guess at that price you're taking a little bit of a risk. To be fair he's quick at refunding if you do send back too.
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1761
    Looks fantastic - i see they've a nice LP Junior style guitar on their website which looks rather tasty
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2382
    Babyfrank said:
    Yes, looks like a maple veneer on the top. He had then in a transparent black finish too, but I didn't get in quick enough for one of those. Still like the natural finish though...
    Yeah natural is nice.
    Are the frets ok? I bought a neck off the same guy and it was terrible. Looked like someone had used a flat head screwdriver to bash the frets in. .

Frets were fine, maybe I was just lucky. That said, I'd bought a Strat neck from him last year which was great quality, so maybe it's a batch thing, don't know
    usedtobe said:
    Link to the guys page?

Don't know about a website, but he's on Facebook as Alan George Guitars... BF
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Got it - cheers!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12968
    Looks good!