Diagnostic Advice Needed

What's Hot
BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5870

I have noticed lately that I have had a very slight volume drop when engaging my Strymon Ola Chorus pedal and didn't take much notice until tonight when I had a severe volume drop and intermittent volume loss.

I've had the Pedalboard set up the same way for nearly a year, so there is nowt wrong with how it's set up. There was zero volume loss to start with and I have not adjusted any of the Gain levels on the FX loop.

The pedal is in the Amps FX Loop along with the Strymon El Cap(the only 2 pedals in the loop), the cable to the "send" on the Amp goes from the Ola Chorus and the "return" from the amp goes to the El Cap.

The El Cap has no issues at all by the way, just the chorus.

I turned everything off and checked all the connections on the P.B and Power supply etc. It is quite crowded under my board and I just did some wiggling and securing.

That seemed to stop the volume loss that was occurring but there still seems to be a very slight volume drop.

There is definitely a drop as while I was wiggling the cables while the amp was on, the levels equalised momentarily, but didn't remain so.

As the El Cap is fine, I wouldn't say it was an Amp problem.

Anyone hazard a guess as to whether it is the Power Supply connector cable to the pedal or the Cable to the Amp or even the pedal. I pretty much ruled out the patch cable as that feeds the El Cap(which is fine).

I noticed the Power Supply connector to that pedal has a right angle barrel type and although it is firmly "plugged in" to the psu, the ribbing is slightly bent back, but so are some of the other right angled cables and those pedals are fine.

The PSU is a V.L PP2+ and the connectors are V.L too.

Thanks for any help.

Only a Fool Would Say That.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MaxiMaxi Frets: 13
    I'd just rule out the pedal with a couple of simple tests like 1 pedal and 2 guitar leads battery vs power supply etc . 
    Until you have identified where the problem starts and ends from the most simple test up to more extensive board layout it could be anything from over buffering to current draw and anything inbetween .
    Flown the nest .
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @Maxi

Thanks for your help, I'll get on to some of those tests. I might be able to rule out current draw as the Pedalboard is exactly the same as when I set it up and made sure I calculated everything ok. Like I say, it's not been an issue in the past, everything was fine.

I don't know if something can happen to interfere with current draw over time? I'm not that clued up really.

:)
    edited October 2013
    Well some pedals just dont sit well with other certain pedals in a particular order either this kind of thing can do your head in some times . 
    Flown the nest .
    edited October 2013
    I just had a thought that perhaps your fx loop is line level and that pedal isnt working as well at line level as your other stuff in the loop .
    Could even be a dirty connection / pot on the pedal .
    Flown the nest .
  • @Maxi

The FX loop is on the Line level setting because the only 2 pedals in the loop are the Strymon Ola and Strymon El Capistan, it's the correct setting for those pedals as they are Line Level.

I've never changed anything at all on either the P.B or the Amp Loop settings and they were ok for months.

It's been a volume drop for about the last 2 weeks and is constantly noticeable with pedal engaged, although very slight. The only time I had the volume seriously reduce and cut out was today.

Also the other pedal in the loop is fine, no problems.

I might just tidy up the cables under the board although they are pretty secure. There was obviously some sort of signal cut out or something.

I suppose a steep learning curve was inevitable when getting serious with gear.

:-S
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72716
    If it only causes the problem when the pedal is turned on, the fault is in the pedal.

If it's true bypass it could be as simple as the footswitch. They're notorious for causing problems.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein