an Ibanez RG350DXZ

thoughts guys???

play every note as if it were your first
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

I has both a Jackson and an Ibanez.

There's not a lot between them.

The Jackson Floyd might be a little suspect - Mine got changed to Schaller, but the original was still useable, the Ibanez trems on the cheaper guitar are suspect.

Jackson pickups are fairly bland, but then Ibanez are the same.

The Jackson (using the same strings) feels a touch slacker the the Ibanez, but not noticably.

If it was me, I'd probably get the Jackson, but it'd be a close-run.  

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    Two very different guitars, despite their outwardly similar pointiness.  Ibanez would be easier to upgrade later with fancier parts, and comes with a (slightly!) better trem, so that would probably get my vote, as they could buy the RG and have some pennies in the bank for some upgrades.  Best to just play both and see which they prefer, really.

Or there's always option 3 - a used MIJ Ibby RG for probably less than the price of the Jackson. ;)
    -- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    Fuzzdog said:

Or there's always option 3 - a used MIJ Ibby RG for probably less than the price of the Jackson. ;)
    Wisdom for this

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    Fuzzdog said:
    Two very different guitars, despite their outwardly similar pointiness.  Ibanez would be easier to upgrade later with fancier parts, and comes with a (slightly!) better trem, so that would probably get my vote, as they could buy the RG and have some pennies in the bank for some upgrades.  Best to just play both and see which they prefer, really.

I've have thought the Jackson would be easier to upgrade bridge wise because it's essentially a Floyd

Ibe bridges are not all interchangeable because the posts have different spacings and the block cavities are different sizes..

I know RG's well... I have 4 of them.. I adore them and I know the necks are wonderful.. I know their pups suck.. so I'd be inclined to swap them out for a Bulldog Extremist [bridge] and a Bulldog Hot PAF [neck].. or if you wanted a similar tone but a little less focused [so it'll be a little more forgiving], a Di'M Breed [bridge] and a Di'M PAF Pro [neck]

Ibe bridges are a wonderful design, but the blades on some can wear too quickly.. they'd be amazing if the blades were made of something much harder..

I like the trem-lock feature on the ne RG350.. looks interesting..

I know very little about the Jackson.. I have no experience with one... I'd have expected that bridge to be great.. cos it looks like a Floyd Classic [I have 3 of these and they are super reliable and last forever]..

I'd also expect the Seymours on the Jacko to be better than the Ibe pups.. cos Ibe pups suck...

if I had to choose out of those two [from specs along and not having played one] I'd be picking the Jacko... in yellow cos it looks mega..

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Clarky said:

I've have thought the Jackson would be easier to upgrade bridge wise because it's essentially a Floyd

Ibe bridges are not all interchangeable because the posts have different spacings and the block cavities are different sizes..

The 350 comes with an Edge 3 now - so either an Edge Pro or original Floyd will drop straight in with no routing or other gubbins required.  The Edge 3 is actually a pretty decent trem if you treat it well, certainly better than the FR Special (famous for having knife edges basically made of cheese) on the Jackson, and certainly good enough to last a while before needing an upgrade.

I'd be tempted by the Jackson though, as I do like a through neck pointy thing now and then!

Or, seriously, just buy a nice used MIJ RG550, plenty of really nice examples around for the same sort of budget, quite often full of nice upgraded pickups too. :D

-- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --

actually yes... I've always thought of the 90's RG550 as being one of the best 'value for money' guitars every made..

so that's a pretty good call...

the next prob will be finding one in decent nick

Fuzzdog said:

The 350 comes with an Edge 3 now - so either an Edge Pro or original Floyd will drop straight in with no routing or other gubbins required. 

this has got me thinking....

one of my Ibe's has an Edge-3. another has LoPro Edge, another has a LoTRS-II. and a few of my others have Floyd Classic..

when I get a mo I'm gonna goof around and find out what fits what..

purely in the interests of science..

Clarky said:

this has got me thinking....

one of my Ibe's has an Edge-3. another has LoPro Edge, another has a LoTRS-II. and a few of my others have Floyd Classic..

when I get a mo I'm gonna goof around and find out what fits what..

purely in the interests of science..

http://forum.ibanez.com/yaf_postst83402_What-trem-goes-into-what-cavity---MUST-SEE.aspx might save you some valuable science time. :D

ah cool.... I'll take a look at that.... I'll most likely end up goofing around anyhow simply to scratch the itch of geekdom.. lmao..

I'm still thinking about that Jackson in yellow... and another in green... with the bridges swapped out for real Floyds and the pups swapped out for Bulldogs.. I know this started out comparing for a mate.. but now I'm wondering if those Jacko's are available the right way around

• rocktronrocktron Frets: 806
    edited July 2015
    I'd spend a bit more money and get the Jackson SLXFMG with EMG 81/85 Active Pickups, or if the budget can be stretched, a Jackson SL2 Soloist with a choice of Seymour Duncan Pickups. 

I bought this Jackson SLX Q BCSB from the USA, because I don't like the Taxi Tellow, and Slime Green finishes available in the UK. It has EMG Passive Pickups, but I believe the new ones in the UK may have upgraded pickups.

hmmmm... two of my students have guitars with active EMG.s on them..

I have to say that I'm not completely sold on them

• xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    For me any Korean guitar is much of a muchness, however USA Jackson and Japanese Ibanez, that's where the fun starts, both amazing to play and brilliantly built. 

but If I would have to choose it would be Jackson only because they necks are sublime.
    mrchi said:
    For me any Korean guitar is much of a muchness, however USA Jackson and Japanese Ibanez, that's where the fun starts, both amazing to play and brilliantly built. 

but If I would have to choose it would be Jackson only because they necks are sublime.

wonderful to be a right hander ain't it... lmao

Clarky said:
    mrchi said:

Stand on your head when playing........

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    mike_l said:
    Clarky said:
    mrchi said:

omfg... now the whole world suddenly makes sense...

how can I ever repay you.... lmao

• EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Clarky;697648" said:
    hmmmm... two of my students have guitars with active EMG.s on them..I have to say that I'm not completely sold on them
    Have you tried them in a high noise environment with lots of strip lights and other such irritants. They really come into their own there. I prefer a decent passive. The second hand market in decent Ibbys is brimming if your right handed. I'd set a budget and see how high up the RG range I could get.
    Evilmags said:
    Clarky;697648" said:
    hmmmm... two of my students have guitars with active EMG.s on them..I have to say that I'm not completely sold on them
    Have you tried them in a high noise environment with lots of strip lights and other such irritants. They really come into their own there. I prefer a decent passive. The second hand market in decent Ibbys is brimming if your right handed. I'd set a budget and see how high up the RG range I could get.

echoing what Fuzzdog pointed out earlier...

I'm finding myself agreeing with you guys on this now...

I'll chat with the guy when I get a mo and advise him to use his 400-ish squid to climb the RG spec ladder.. and if poss to aim for a RG550..

• xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    Oooh sorry buddy I forgot you were disabled :-D (I'm jokin I'm the only right-hander in my family)

That does make it a lot harder,
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2382
    Clarky said:

hmmmm... two of my students have guitars with active EMG.s on them..

I have to say that I'm not completely sold on them

That's a bit harsh on your students, surely?

:D
    Clarky said:

omfg... now the whole world suddenly makes sense...

how can I ever repay you.... lmao

That's a freebie.

I'd still go for the Jackson as first choice.  I still love My Ibby though.

Charlene

Laura