Prospect of a Tele up for grabs in a fretboard raffle??

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• MrSwansonMrSwanson Frets: 457
    nickb_boy said:
    Keeping things fair and transparent would be my main concern.

In line with @RaymondLin the lottery balls could definitely be the most unbiased way. To keep costs down tickets could be £6 and people could be allocated a number between 3 and 97 for each place purchased. The first 2 balls out on the following Saturday Lottery draw added together could give the winning number.
    Can I have number 49 please?

3 only has one chance of winning (1 & 2)
    49 has lots more chance (1 & 48, 2 & 47, 3 & 46 etc...)
    He has a point....adding up 2 balls is not fair !
    Would it not be more like, first ball drawn is 1, 2nd is 2 therefore the number is 12?
    View my trading feedback here: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58681/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TonyRTonyR Frets: 908
    Nice idea but IMHO it sounds too fraught with potential problems to be a goer unfortunately.
    We are all Chameleons...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
    tFB Trader
    MrSwanson;696686" said:
    RaymondLin said:

SteveRobinson said:

nickb_boy said:

Keeping things fair and transparent would be my main concern.

In line with @RaymondLin the lottery balls could definitely be the most unbiased way. To keep costs down tickets could be £6 and people could be allocated a number between 3 and 97 for each place purchased. The first 2 balls out on the following Saturday Lottery draw added together could give the winning number.

Can I have number 49 please?

3 only has one chance of winning (1 & 2)49 has lots more chance (1 & 48, 2 & 47, 3 & 46 etc...)

He has a point....adding up 2 balls is not fair !

Would it not be more like, first ball drawn is 1, 2nd is 2 therefore the number is 12?
    Good plan. First ball drawn 28, second 44, so the winner is number 2844 ... oh wait ..

• nickb_boynickb_boy Frets: 1689
    This whole thing is starting to make eBay seem like a positive choice!!

I've had a look on Facebook to see what has been done before. I don't like the idea of me recording myself using my phone/computer to select a random number it scroll to direct the winner. What's to say I haven't done 30 takes to choose the winner. They also did £20 per place which I feel is too much.

I'd only consider it if there is a fair way to get the number generated. This leaves the first lottery ball which only gives 1-49 or something like a sporting event where a race is timed and using the split second of the finish time to get the number 00-59. These still leave the entry price at around £10 per chance.

Its looking like the headache of keeping it fair is going to make it a no go unless some bright person on here can think of a better option.

Oh well just a thought!
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11953
    New York Lottery has 59 numbers, that still means £10 per ticket. 
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6908
    edited July 2015
    I'd be in for a tenner but I think tickets should be limited to one entry each.

That way everyone has the same chance of winning.

That said I wouldn't want to administrate it! It sounds like a nightmare.

I'd just sell on eBay...
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5078
    Unfortunately, as the guitar is red, I wouldn't be able to enter.  :)
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    Maybe you should sweeten the deal. Put your pedal boards in the mix!
  • GIJoeGIJoe Frets: 213
    edited July 2015
    I'd be up for it, but it's a bit tricky.

1. UK gambling laws are complex, and this would probably require a gambling license/registration (like those charity/school raffle tickets) - being online you can probably quite easily get away with it - perhaps speaker's corner would be a better place (yes it is guitars but then it's not indexed by Google).

2. Price - I would be happy to pay £10, as it would help you out tremendously, but it does seem a bit harsh that it is mainly to benefit you, yes one lucky person gets a guitar, but everyone else is plumb out of luck (yes this is the nature of gambling etc etc...but I think a lot of the other raffles have benefited this site/a charity directly) - maybe you could reduce the 'asking price' or donate a percentage to charity/the fb?

3. As has been mentioned before, what's to stop people doing chargebacks and withdrawing the money? Maybe it should be restricted to people who registered before X date...bit harsh but it would stop people signing up just to enter/scammers signing up (See 1).

I think this has legs, just needs some careful planning.

"Nobody is really researching robot jokes"

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    gordiji said:
    I'd be in too, but i've a feeling you need a gaming licence , unless we all keep it secret.
    I won't tell anyone..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• Panama_Jack666Panama_Jack666 Frets: 2989
    edited July 2015
    nickb_boy said:
    This whole thing is starting to make eBay seem like a positive choice!!

I've had a look on Facebook to see what has been done before. I don't like the idea of me recording myself using my phone/computer to select a random number it scroll to direct the winner. What's to say I haven't done 30 takes to choose the winner. They also did £20 per place which I feel is too much.

I'd only consider it if there is a fair way to get the number generated. This leaves the first lottery ball which only gives 1-49 or something like a sporting event where a race is timed and using the split second of the finish time to get the number 00-59. These still leave the entry price at around £10 per chance.

Its looking like the headache of keeping it fair is going to make it a no go unless some bright person on here can think of a better option.

Oh well just a thought!
    You could film yourself using a random number generator online and say you were going to draw it at a specific time and then have BBC news 24 on in the background or something? Or hand the number drawing responsibility to someone else like a Modmin?

I'd be up for it by the way!
  • Nah. Just sell it, someone will take it eventually.
    Do you need a licence for a raffle?  We do it at work all the time.
    edited July 2015

http://www.gamblingcommission.gov.uk/Gambling-sectors/Lotteries/Getting-a-licence/Do-I-need-a-licence/Circumstances-in-which-you-do-not-need.aspx#Residents_lottery

Private society lottery

Any group or society, except those set up for gambling, and where the proceeds of the lottery go to the purposes of the society. If you run or are a member of a private society, as long as that society has not been formed for gambling, you can run a lottery or raffle for the benefit of that society without an operating licence from the Gambling Commission. Tickets can only be sold to members of the private society or guests on the society's premises. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    edited July 2015
    This is one of those ideas where, after trying it, all losing entrants say "now I know why this doesn't happen on every forum all the time. Its a silly idea for the entrants."
  • benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1397
    edited July 2015
    At £10 a throw I would like to enter. Regardless of how fair or unfair it is. I'm not overly fussed risking 10 quid for a nice guitar and money going to a worthy cause.
    Hope all works out for you and your family.

Although I have seen these things pop up on other sites and the gambling license thing has been a show stopper but I can't 100% remember why I'm afraid!
    How very rock and roll