Help with Strat UPGRADE advice

What's Hot
johnonguitarjohnonguitar Frets: 1243
edited July 2015 in Guitar
So, my Strat is nearly 16 years old and I love it dearly. However, she needs some tender loving care and was looking for advice.

1. Needs a new nut- I'm looking for awesome toanz bro, what's everyone's favourite materiel?

2. The frets needs a serious dressing but I'm not sure if I should just man up and get her a refret with some jumbo wire like my tele. And no, I don't want a new neck

3. It has an early 90's shit die cast 2 point trem. I actually fancy swapping this out for a proper bit of metal and the proper saddles. What's the trem I seek?

4. Tuners are kinda crappy materiel too. Would I be smart to change them at the same time as the trem and nut to something a little more substantial? I don't want to change the look

5. Is there any analy retentive methods of wiring the Strat I could look into? Wire made from unicorn teeth or something like that?

Thanks in advance

Ps. Any other tips would be great!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    Do you have the serial number? I can check what current parts will be direct replacements / upgrades to what's currently on there. 
    This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • johnonguitarjohnonguitar Frets: 1243
    MattFGBI;697388" said:
    Do you have the serial number? I can check what current parts will be direct replacements / upgrades to what's currently on there. 
    That's awesome thanks very much. The guitars not with me right now as I'm gigging but will be able to get the serial number tomorrow. Cheers!
  • Wudtone do a two point upgrade kit. You'll still need to drill holes, but it gives you a six point trem that looks good.
  • johnonguitarjohnonguitar Frets: 1243
    ThePrettyDamned;697405" said:
    Wudtone do a two point upgrade kit. You'll still need to drill holes, but it gives you a six point trem that looks good.
    That looks great, was just on the website. Seems like a really good design
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    +1 on the Wudtone. I didn't believe the whole block materials etc.until I tried one. The difference really was night and day so went the whole hog and put the whole trem in.

It's totally stable with great feel and tone.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • johnonguitar;697417" said:
    [quote="ThePrettyDamned;697405"]Wudtone do a two point upgrade kit. You'll still need to drill holes, but it gives you a six point trem that looks good.
    That looks great, was just on the website. Seems like a really good design
    [/quote]

I've got a normal wudtone bent steel 6 point, not the 2 point conversion, but it's excellent.