Best bang for the buck £120 range

What's Hot
A friend's daughter has made the decision that she wants to join the low notes set. She is wanting something full size and about £120. Suggestions?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319

Vintage or Squier. Next? ;)

Actually, there's a fair few hideously unfashionable basses going for bugger-all on eBay at the minute (lower-end Warwicks, Bass Collections etc), you'd get something pretty 'semi-pro' for £120.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Shark_EyesShark_Eyes Frets: 377
    Warwicks have narrow necks in my experience, and since I have stubby fingers I find my Warwick much more comfortable to play than a P-Bass. Jazz Basses also have slightly narrower necks too.

I'd go secondhand Squire as you'll have a larger choice.
  • I am wary of sending this customer after a Squier as they have so many different sources and are so variable. I have been looking at the cheaper Yamahas which seem to be quite interesting.

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12956
    Yamaha BB414. They sometimes sell for that kind of money, depending on condition/finish etc (anywhere between £110 and £160-ish, really). Outstanding instruments. 

• 5redlights5redlights Frets: 317
    How young/tall is she? If she's not finished growing she might find a full scale bass to be a bit much. 

If younger, first stop would be a Squier Bronco bass. Easily under £100 on ebay. 

Next up would be a squier mustang, although you'd be lucky at under £120. I've seen alot of people mod the Bronco into a mustang fairly easily. 

Next up would be the Squier Jaguar special bass - they're shortscale too. 

Another shortscale option would be the Dean Evo XM Bass - double humbuckers, les paul style bass. 

If full size, ibanez soundgear basses are good choices and very cheap, around £150 new. Also have a look at J&D basses on dv247. 

They get excellent reviews and great value when you consider they have alder bodies. 

Super cheap option would be a Tanglewood rebel on Ebay. Bit basic to look at, but sturdy well build first bass, and regularly go for under £50 on ebay. Also, anything yamaha is going to be sturdy and play well, even if they look a little boring. 

I'd also have a look at Harley Benton. Lots of choice under £120 and new. 

• speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
    I'll second the ibby soundgears, ive got one, 3 piece mahogany body with spalted maple top, p and j pickups lovely neck and pretty light too
  • Hi all, thanks for the answers.

He took her into a shop looking for a Yamaha bass and she got a.......

...............Squier Strat

5reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom