The recycled table - update!

What's Hot

Comments

• rprrpr Frets: 310
    Have you seen Milk Paint ?-water based and works with Danish oil.
    I'm sure  the sample pack  will give you enough for a  couple of coats-

I hope you're gonna put a scratch-plate on it-really helps define the shape IMO.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12722
    Thanks for that, I'll look into it.

I wasn't planning to use a plate - but if it looks like it needs one once it's 'finished' I may invest!! :-)
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• I'd say go without a plate.

• hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    rpr said:
    Have you seen Milk Paint ?-water based and works with Danish oil.
    I'm sure  the sample pack  will give you enough for a  couple of coats-

I hope you're gonna put a scratch-plate on it-really helps define the shape IMO.

+1 for the milk paint. I'm just finishing a tele kit with it and it's lovely to work with.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

• jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    That needs amber nitro' Springsteen-ing. Lovely looking bit of wood.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • Just Danish oil it

Well, the decision has been taken...

I'm leaving it natural finish - warts and all - using my Tru Oil. First coats on:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b59/impmann/Mobile Uploads/1AFE315B-3F6A-47E3-9D51-16C115C1453D_zpsdgclnapg.jpg

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Oh yes!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• RolandRoland Frets: 8848
    Instant credibility as a working man's guitar
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1276
    Right decision, I reckon.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602

impmann said:

Its no secret that until they closed the UK office, I was gainfully employed by Line6

@impmann .. I hadn't realised the UK office has closed .. I must say the support in the UK was first class. I guess it's now in Germany .. sorry to hear you lost your job.

Love the Tele .... top job.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    Thanks, mate. They did keep it very quiet.
    Yes, if you have any issues contact Yamaha in Germany - sadly they didn't take on any ex-Line6 people, so good luck!

Three more coats of Tru Oil done using Wez's wet sanding method. It's beginning to look and feel great but my decidedly secondhand bottle of Tru Oil is showing its age. It's really thick and gloopy and there are some crystals in it. I've had to bite the bullet and buy some more.

A picture of it drying this evening:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b59/impmann/Mobile Uploads/E97A4ACB-44D8-4920-B633-0FF7E5E82E85_zpsnuxgqjay.jpg

Loving that!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

The tablecaster took a big step forwards this morning... with the Tru Oil used up, I declared the finishing over and so it was onto fitting it up.

The bridge, ferules and control plate were then fitted. The control plate was donated by a friend - it was a blank one and seeing as there is only going to be a single pickup in this guitar, it kinda felt right to use it on this build. The one I'm building for my friend will have two pickups (humbuckers) and so I'll use the regular Tele plate I've acquired for that.

Some pics outside to show off the finish... warts and all:

Then came the fun and games of fitting the neck. I've balls'd up the neck pocket a tad, so I'm hoping its all straight. If not then... well, we'll find a way. In keeping with the recycling ethic, the neck plate was originally fitted to a Variax 600 and the neck screws were salvaged from a Variax 300 Acoustic! The machine heads came from this forum - I had hoped to use some rather lovely Kluson style ones but the holes in the headstock are too big and the converters supplied needed gluing in... I wasn't keen on that so I went with some cheapy enclosed jobs. 

The electronics are very simple - a pair of salvaged CTS pots that came from a Les Paul that I stripped following an altercation with a Motorway and a truck (couldn't be fixed!!)  - it fell off a roof rack, yes really and the output jack assembly was found in a box of tat in the spare room. A pair of black strat knobs fell out of a drawer the other day and so I decided they'd go on this guitar.

As you can see on the back there are lots of 'character marks' from where it was used/abused as a table. It was this that made me decide to keep it natural finish as a reminder as to where it came from.

All I need to do now is set it up, solder the pickup in and... bingo, its a player. Simple, huh? I bet its not...

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1276
    Now that's what a 'furniture' guitar should look like.
    It's a beautiful thing. Tablecaster made me chuckle..

Well, it's strung up and playing.

It's great!!! It sounds brilliant.

I'll try to do a video or something to round this all off with some sounds.

It's not perfect by a long way - I made a lot of rookie mistakes but it was a learning experience and I really enjoyed it.

• RolandRoland Frets: 8848
    Tablecaster - I love it.  The guitar's not bad looking either.  Let's hear how it sounds.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    Hope you're getting a decal made ;)