Tone pots, Log or Lin?

What's Hot
Also, if you've got Log pots and feck all happens til you roll down to about 2, would that suggest the pot's wired backwards?

As you can probably tell, my friday nights are fucking mental! 

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    Tone - Linear
    Yes, youve likely got the wiring confuzzled on the log pot
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72740
    edited July 2015
    Tone should always be Log unless you want it to do exactly that.

*Unless*:

1 - you're left-handed, in which case you need Reverse Log for it to work properly. Linear is marginally less bad than Log wired backwards, but not much.

2 - you actively want it to do that, eg for 'tone control wah', so the range is over the first quarter turn.

3 - you want it to have a small range at the dull end for a jazz tone, in which case something like 100k Lin will work.

If none of those things apply and it still cuts off abruptly, the pot is poor quality. Cheap Log pots are often made from two sections of linear track instead of a proper Log one.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Its a push pull pot so probably not the greatest quality. It's not a massive problem as I don't adjust them often. The bridge is usually rolled off a tad and the neck is on 10, unless I'm going for a "woman" type tone. Just wondered as I have to set my LP bridge tone to around 2 but my 335's to about 8 for the same effect.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72740
    Push-pull pots are very often (almost always in fact) based on those cheap mini-pots with two linear sections, so that does explain it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    I've tried them both, and it's definitely log for me, linear gives the effect where bugger all happens until you turn down to about 4 or so, and then everything goes muddy very quickly. I like log pots for volume also, so I never buy the linear ones.
  • Cheers dudes, guess I'll have to decide whether to keep the jimmy page wiring and put up with it or fit some decent pots.
  • FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    Always log for me for tone pots, I can't stand linear.
    -- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3057
    Next job on my Tele is replacing the tone pot with the opposite to what's in now (I think it's lin!)

R.
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2429
    edited July 2015
    So is a log pot marked A and lin=B?
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    Yes
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2429
    Thank'ee
  • GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    What he means is that it depends on the manufacturer. Some mark then one way, others the opposite.