Played a Vintage VSA 535 today...

What's Hot
335 copy - looks very cool as the horns are offset a little. Some people might hate that though.

Anyway I tried one in a shop and it surprised how cheap it felt as I've heard so many good things about Vintage. I hope the biggest issues were because it had sat in the shop for a while as the strings felt awful. The action was far too high although that could easily be altered.

I really loved the look of it but it just left me feeling cold.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2382
    I think I played a model along those lines (can't remember the exact one but it was a semihollow model) several years back and felt the same. I think that was before Trev Wilkinson got involved, though.
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962

335 copy - looks very cool as the horns are offset a little. Some people might hate that though.

Anyway I tried one in a shop and it surprised how cheap it felt as I've heard so many good things about Vintage. I hope the biggest issues were because it had sat in the shop for a while as the strings felt awful. The action was far too high although that could easily be altered.

I really loved the look of it but it just left me feeling cold.
    So have I but you have to try a few I think. 

The Lemon Drop for instance is a much lauded guitar (at least it got some good reviews on real ease which Vintage have promulgated ever since). However, when I went to try with the intention of buying a few months ago, the specific guitar in the shop was poor to middling in several respects. 
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    edited July 2015
    If it was the offset horns then I think it was the chinese version. The older korean ones feel much better.
  • Like all cheaper guitars they're made to a price. I've heard that their QC can be all over the place, especially recently.

I've seen a few Vintages that were comically bad in their set up- how can a shop hope to sell a guitar that isn't set up to its best advantage is beyond me... Though that holds true for all brands & models.

From my experience, the most consistently good Vintage guitars are those produced shortly after Wilkinson got involved.
    I was lucky enough to get one of the first Lemon Drops & it's excellent: Much better than the new one a friend bought after playing mine. So much so that I felt a bit guilty.
    After a proper set up his guitar was MUCH better, but still felt a bit "cheap".

I also have one of their higher level acoustics, that's fantastic... But for what it costs, it should be!
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    I've got a dozen Vintages, the newest are 2 x V52JDAB. Excellent quality. They get it right on some guitars but not on others. AFAIK they commission a batch at a time from whichever factory is offering the cheapest price. So you don't get consistency.
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    Chalky said:
    If it was the offset horns then I think it was the chinese version. The older korean ones feel much better.
    That explains things - I was puzzled by the comment about offset horns, because the 535 I had didn't have them offset - it was exactly the shape of a 335. 

Pretty nice guitar actually. I sold it when I bought a Gibson, and the biggest difference I noticed was the weight - the Gibson weighed a ton and made the Vintage feel like balsa. I don't know what that implies about the difference in construction. I think the Vintage is supposed to be solid wood whereas a 335 is ply, isn't it, but shouldn't that make the Gibson lighter?
  • The funny thing is I'm still tempted by one, just need to find the right one if you guys are right!
  • SamgbSamgb Frets: 774
    My Vintage V100 is a serious piece of wood. It's 9lbs or so I think. It's pretty well made the only issue I have is that I think it'd benefit from a new nut but for the money I paid (buttons on EBay) it is a very good guitar.
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    I've been tempted by the 575 before but completely failed to find anyone that had one in stock. No, sorry mate, I will NOT order one on the off chance that I'm going to like it, I want to play before deciding whether to buy it
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • So the next question is - if I don't get a Vintage, what is the best bang for my buck guitar with humbuckers around the £300 price point. Epi dot or LP instead?
  • Epiphone are pretty ubiquitous at that price- LP, SG, Dot... Take your pick!
    Squier do tele customs etc (if you can find a Trohman signature those are great too).

I'd also look at the likes of Ibanez, Shechter & Hagstrom.

Obviously your money will go further second hand.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2015
    So the next question is - if I don't get a Vintage, what is the best bang for my buck guitar with humbuckers around the £300 price point. Epi dot or LP instead?
    Tokai

EDIT

... at any sub-£1k price point
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
  • Are tele customs true humbuckers?

I'd go tokai for sure if I could find something Japanese at that price...
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16303
    LTD ? Quite often at big reductions. Made in the mystical guitar forests of Vietnam. The 200 and the 256 ( relic finish) are Les Paulish around the £300 mark.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks will check those out.
    Are tele customs true humbuckers?

I'd go tokai for sure if I could find something Japanese at that price...
    The chinese ones are good. V. good for the money
  • Nice. I will check them out.
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12435
    If you can find an Italia Torino, get one, far better than an Epi Dot (Ive had a few Dots) and even better to me than a Sheraton. The pickups are escellent and the whole thing just feels really right.

I love mine and cant see myself getting rid any time soon, I think Hot Rox are doing them new for around £400.

"OUR TOSSPOT"