In praise of Yamaha...

What's Hot
NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
Tell you what, they might not be the most desirable or glamorous guitars, but Yamaha know how to put their guitars together.

I've had a few of them down the years, both new and used, and the quality and general feel have always been consistent. Sometimes I wish they did slightly wider necks, but I guess you can't have it all...

Just last week, I picked up this beaten up 1998 ERG121 on the way back from my hols in Cornwall. I've cleaned it up, tightened up both control knobs, set the bridge flush and restrung it - for £35, it's a fooking bargain.

Just spent the last hour with it plugged in and flying around the board - for a budget guitar it sounds nice enough; the in-between tones are more woody than spanky and lack a little clarity, but otherwise it sounds great. Nice, punchy rock tones and it feels solid. I'm in two minds whether to keep it or not (partly because I could do with the money) but I'm erring towards keeping it for my jam nights...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    nice one!
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    I agree. They are consistently both good and great value.
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    No frills, but they defo do what they say on the tin.

Good stuffs
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    These the ones they did in argos, and catalogues?
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
    @usedtobe I think so. I had one going back about ten years ago, and that was a good guitar too.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    I don't know about the electrics but I've had some really good acoustics over the years.
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4215
    If it's got a black headstock, then it's an RG121(SJ?) rather than an Exx. I had an identical one as my first decent guitar for a couple of years - also in Cornwall funnily enough, don't suppose this was from St Newlyn East area?
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12704
    Yamaha make much under rated instruments IMHO.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
    @guitargeek62 - from Exmouth, this one. May have been second hand to the person I bought it off, so you never know.
  • GruGru Frets: 339
    I believe the prices have come down too recently. The 112v is under £200, and I was quite suprised to see the 311H selling for just £220

I have had a couple of 112s and they were great. Like all the guitars I have bought and sold, not sure why I sold it on?
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Everything Yamaha makes has quality stamped over it .. I picked up a battered 821D a few years ago - real rock axe - and after a setup it played beautifully. I sold it to a forumite .. don't know why. I still have a Pacifica 812W .. these are brilliant - Seymour Duncan pickups, Wilkinson hardware .. you can buy them for peanuts.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • GizmoGizmo Frets: 1097
    edited July 2015
    Just refinishing an 80's RGZ 211m i picked up a while back off ebay for £65,total bargain and im a sucker for 80's maple FB'ed superstrat's.... it was a pearl white but had some sun/age bleech that didn't look to good,atm Ive refinished taxi cab yellow with a few coats of clear on it (looks kinda like this)

but i think im going to try giving it a suhr dip finish

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2462
    You all clearly have exceptional taste and are very knowledgable. Probably well hung too.

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    rossyamaha;701574" said:
    You all clearly have exceptional taste and are very knowledgable. Probably well hung too.
    @rossyamaha Reply of the day for me.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    Well, I've got poor taste and I'm not very knowledgeable but yes.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5590
    My niece's first electric was an ERG121 I bought it for her in a local auction room for £30.
    It was dirty, had black crusty strings, was a fair age and had clearly been badly neglected.
    Some elbow grease and a new set of strings later and it was good as new! 
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    edited July 2015
    My dream acoustic is a Japanese L-series acoustic. My first teacher has one and it's a magnificent instrument.