When is a keeper a keeper?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• markblackmarkblack Frets: 1599
    this 339 is a keeper... I'm keeping it for this little guy when he's a bit bigger. He's making progress.

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188

I had a keeper once.

Sold it

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4438
    When you don't care about it getting dinged? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited July 2015
    10thumbs said:

The one that has NO dust on it .

All of mine have dust on them, even the ones that get played every day :D

As for me... I don't really know. My Dean is staying put because it was my first guitar, but I've modded it and will probably continue to do so. My Squier Jazzmaster was my 18th birthday present so that stays too, although modding it is again not out of the question (it's just a case of when I can afford to give it a decent bridge and a pro set-up). It seems silly throwing so much money at cheap guitars, but these two will always be around so I figure I should make them the best they can possibly be.

As for others... I've mentally earmarked my Flying V as a definite keeper no matter what happens, and I think the green Strat is too. Although I haven't ruled out changing things on that - it's a parts guitar, I specced the neck slightly wrong and have never quite been happy with it, so I may well get a new one made at some point.

I can't see the new Junior and 30-fret RG going anywhere either tbh, subject to mods/setups etc, because they're both great and I can see them serving me well for a long while yet. The Tokai is similar, it plays like a fookin dream and it's not even been set up since I bought it. It's just a quality instrument, so while I'm again probably going to change the pickups, I reckon it'll stick about too.

The Ibanez 5 is all the bass I could need (and then some), and the acoustic was a gift from a close family friend, so I'd never sell it, but it's a perfectly fine instrument anyway. I'm planning to also buy a Taylor electro when funds allow, for gigging. And I'd like a more classic 4-string bass to add to the collection, a Fender Jazz or Jag bass perhaps, but it's not exactly a pressing need.

So basically all of mine are keepers :D
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    I'm seriously thinking of downsizing to two electrics (and maybe keep the acoustic). Oh, and the bass (damn). So - get rid of one PRS. Damn, would love to just have ONE guitar.
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    edited July 2015
    Some high end guitars depreciate terribly when bought new, so often they are not worth selling as you'd 'lose' a fortune. Unless you are desperate for the cash.

• NeilNeil Frets: 3686
    Never sold a guitar, (except for my first Avon Les Paul copy which doesn't count) so I guess they are all keepers.
    mellowsun said:
    Some high end guitars depreciate terribly, so often they are not worth selling as you'd 'lose' a fortune. Unless you are desperate for the cash.

Reckon I'd lose near £1k but still get back ~£2k... gah, I don't know.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30319
    The one you can't even give away let alone sell.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    mellowsun said:
    Some high end guitars depreciate terribly, so often they are not worth selling as you'd 'lose' a fortune. Unless you are desperate for the cash.

Reckon I'd lose near £1k but still get back ~£2k... gah, I don't know.
    I bought a first-generation Vox Virage back in 2008 new, the first one to be imported into the UK as it happened. A bit foolish, as they didn't sell well so were discounted heavily before they released the Vox Virage II - which also didn't sell well and were also discounted heavily!

I'd probably only get about 1/3 of what I paid for it if I sold it. Fortunately, it's not an issue as the guitar plays and sounds great, and I have no plans to sell it. But it would also be pointless to sell it, as I'd get so little for it. So it's a keeper.

Whereas my CS Strat with Abby handwounds would probably sell for what I paid for it, so I'd be more likely to sell that should the need arise.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28353
    When it gets a job at the zoo.