Audio drums to Midi

I believe Abbleton Live 9 can do this, unfortunately I only have 8 and Sonar x1. I need something that can convert a single audio track of drums into an equivalent midi track. I know there is software that will do it if you have the drum parts on separate tracks but unfortunately the drums im working with are all on one track. Cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7300
    drumagog you can set different frequency bands for different drums, i doubt you'll get more than bass and snare out reliably though.

I think slate makes something too.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • johnswissjohnswiss Frets: 394
    PolarityMan;703233" said:
    drumagog you can set different frequency bands for different drums, i doubt you'll get more than bass and snare out reliably though.

I think slate makes something too.
    Yes I was reading about slate but like others it suggests separate tracks. I wondered if anyone had done it with Abbleton 9? I will look up drumagog too, thanks.

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24447
    If you can find anything that can create a midi track from audio and produce something even remotely usable, I'll be gobsmacked.  The waveform of a mixed audio signal is just too complex to pull apart reliably.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11989
    what's the objective?

I assume to replace the drum sounds?

this has been available in Protools for years:

this one from 15 years ago:

a more updated version came 9 years ago:

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33848
    None of these options with a single audio track of drums. They are designed for multitrack drum reprocessing. I haven't used Live, maybe that is different.
    Emp_Fab;703304" said:
    If you can find anything that can create a midi track from audio and produce something even remotely usable, I'll be gobsmacked.  The waveform of a mixed audio signal is just too complex to pull apart reliably.
    I will be too to be honest, but if it can it would be great with minimal tidying up. The drums were played live on an electric kit so are quite clean sounding.
    ToneControl;703327" said:
    what's the objective?

I assume to replace the drum sounds?

this has been available in Protools for years:

this one from 15 years ago:http://www.mixonline.com/news/profiles/digidesign-soundreplacer-audiosuite-plug-pro-tools/372029

a more updated version came 9 years ago:http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep06/articles/tlrehab.htm
    Yes to replace them. Id heard protools had something too, I will check out the links. Thanks

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2092
    Mm,m....maybe you can show all the transients in the audio track and use them to trigger drum sounds, a sort of side chain thing? I've never done it by the way....

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10457

Getting kick and snare separated out is pretty easy, I've recreated kick and snare tracks from one overhead track by manually copying the transients to tracks below. Then using the new transients to trigger either Drumagog or these days Slate Trigger which is an amazing bit if drum triggering software. Massey plugins do a good trigger to midi plug but I expect it's Protools only, most of his stuff is. 

Never head to recreate hats, rides ect so not sure how successful that would be, again zoomed in you could see those but copying them would be labour intensive to say the least
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2092

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2211
    Toontrack drum tracker.
    Thanks for all the advice so far, it seems most of the software is geared up to using separate audio files for each drum part but still some good stuff out there. Would still be interested to hear from anyone with Abbleton Live 9 as the demo I've seen from that did take a complete drum part on one audio file. Cheers
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2211
    You obviously didn't look at drum tracker properly then?
    Nerine said:
    You obviously didn't look at drum tracker properly then?
    Well, I had a little look at the SOS review, perhaps I need to delve more then? Have you tried it on a single audio track of drums? If it does work the price is certainly more appealing than Abbleton 9! Cheers
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6922
    Sonar has just added a drum replacer module based on the Melodyne technology, haven't tried it yet though.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    mrkb said:
    Sonar has just added a drum replacer module based on the Melodyne technology, haven't tried it yet though.
    That's interesting. I may have to give that a go.