SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

2001 Tom Murphy Aged 1959 Reissue Les Paul. Plaintop. WITHDRAWN FROM SALE

What's Hot

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28353
    A fabulous looking guitar, but sadly way beyond my means.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ourmaninthenorthourmaninthenorth Frets: 3418
    edited July 2015

Forgot to include the bloody write up...I'm a much better guitarist than I am a salesman...honest...!!!

Originally stocked and sold by Wild Wood guitars in 2001 (www.wildwoodguitars.com ) this Murphy R9 was considered  to be the first and only Murphy aged 59 Plaintop at that time, despite extensive research I cannot find a single further example, so perhaps the only aged 59 Plaintop ever aged by Tom?  Here’s a snippet of an e-mail from the original owner w ith the first few years of its provenance;

Sorry for not getting back sooner.  I looked for the COA, but could not find it. I think I paid $4000 for it new, I could call Steve to see if that receipt is still in the Wild Wood computer. I held on to the guitar until 2005, and sold it to my friend Mike Urbana.  Mike and Steve from Wild Wood were really good friends but had a bad falling out.  I don't know if Steve sold that guitar for Mike or not. After I sold the guitar to Mike he let Eddie Turner use it to record an album. The guitar was featured on the cover of that album. Furthermore, Guitar World made mention of Eddie Turner in a small article, and the album cover was pictured in the magazine.  I don't know when Mike sold the guitar, or who sold it for him.  That was my main guitar for 4 years.  I sold it because I was buying only Brazilian rosewood guitars at the time. However, I wish I would have kept it.  When I bought it, Steve told me that was the only plain top Murphy ever made.  Where did you buy it from? I will ask Mike if he has the COA, I doubt I would have sold it without it though.   You can contact me anytime.

Steve G

The guitar found its way back to Wild Wood, where it was bought by an English Guy , FastKev, a UK LPF member  and imported into the UK in 2008. I bought the guitar off this gentleman via a classified ad on the Les Paul Forum in 2009. The deal was done old school, a couple of e-mails, a price agreed upon, a meet in Yorkshire, cash, done. Simplicity itself. Lovely to deal with Gentlemen.   There is no COA, however Tom Murphy ageing is confirmed by Wild Wood on the original receipt. A letter from Tom was sent to KW via e-mail, again confirming his ageing work - but this was sadly lost in a computer crash.  I’ve tried in vain to track down the COA, efforts to contact Tom Murphy have been unsuccessful…have a look at this thread on the LPF where I tried to track it down-http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=169650

contd......

A little about the guitar’s spec’s :

·          Fabulous ageing work on the whole guitar.

·         Uncle Lou tips, the swirly ones, not the premiums.

·         Bone nut, beautifully cut.

·         Historic Makeover inlays, correct shape and material. Professionally and beautifully installed on a very very dark board. Definitely NOT Brazilian.

·         9.06 lbs.

·         BareKnuckle Peter Green Blues with aged covers. Neck wind is superb, Bridge is good but nowhere near the neck.

·         Full plastic change (FatBoy) except the rings which are stock  ‘fettled’ Historic, and the Pickguard which is DMC (supplied by Richard Henry ) .

·         Lightweight aluminium tailpiece, not Historic, Montreux  would be my best guess.

·         Stock wired ABR and posts.

·         Faber Tone Lock pro sustainer system tailpiece studs (aged)

·         RS pots & PIO cap kit by Shugz

The guitar was used by the Canadian guitarist Eddie Turner on his album “The Eddie Turner Diaries” and features on the albums cover. A copy of which is included in sale. As of course is the Lifton, case candy ( Lead, Strap, a few bits of Gibson paperwork...) 

All in all a really great guitar, which I’m proud to own and play on a daily basis, however all good things come to an end, a piece of 1950's wood has my name on it, and therefore it is time to find this guitar it's next player. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    edited July 2015
    That guitar deserves better photos...take it outside in natural shaded light...

EDIT...ignore that as just saw the link..
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stuagustuagu Frets: 334
    er .... wow never thought this one would ever be available. stonking guitar... doesnt get any better. someone is going to be a very happy camper.
    paul is one of nicest guys you could ever do business with.
    atb gu
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Van_HaydenVan_Hayden Frets: 438
    Is that the one I had a go on at the mill?
  • It is Hayden. All well? 
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1678
    Paul, I never thought you'd sell that guitar ! I would love to see it sometime, but sadly I don't have the coin at the mo having bought two new 2014 lesters already this year.

So, what guitar on planet earth is worthy of prizing this beauty out of your hands? Do tell.

Rob.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • It's cards close to my chest at the mo Rob, if it comes off you'll be one of the first to know... :-\"
  • shugzshugz Frets: 770
    Best of luck with the sale Paul, sorry to see it go.

Top guitar and seller :)

Cheers
    Hugh

www.proudhoney.com

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stuagustuagu Frets: 334
    By the way Paul... Neck pickup is wrong way round;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • andrewandrew Frets: 47
    Wow!
    Sarcasm is often hard to detect in writing. If in doubt - yes, I was taking the piss.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richhrichh Frets: 453
    So basically it's a knackered old guitar put together by a drunken Paddy on a Friday afternoon, pickups the wrong way round, can't be worth much then? ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richh said:
    So basically it's a knackered old guitar put together by a drunken Paddy on a Friday afternoon, pickups the wrong way round, can't be worth much then? ;)
    I should have put that in the listing...it'll fly of the shelves.... :))
    No, it does look amazing to be honest!

The pictures are great, is there any audio online anywhere or is it best to listen to the album by Eddie Turner to hear it in action?

GLWS... must admit it is very tempting
  • That's kind of you Rich, thanks.

Audio; none with me playing it....be thankful for small mercies !!

So the Eddie Turner album is ones best bet...although don't ask me which tracks, they all sound like Strats to my cloth ears...
    %-(
    Thanks, will have a listen, if I can find it on Spotify or similar.  Would be interesting if other folk that have played the guitar could chip in with their thoughts?
  • ourmaninthenorthourmaninthenorth Frets: 3418
    edited July 2015
    Rich, apart from me, Kev Whatley aka FastKev ( the UK guy who brought it into the UK from WildWood ) and Hayden at Matamp, who played it briefly whilst I was at the factory pissing about with an amp, and the tech who installed the HM inlays,  nobody else has had their greasy mitts on this guitar in the UK since it was imported in 2008.  Usually very generous with my guitars, this one however has not left my sight since I bought it in 2009. 

I was really hoping either Hugh or Stu would have the scratch for it, that's the romantic in me. No disrespect to anyone by that statement by the way - I've just got a real soft spot for these two extraordinary Gentlemen. 

:))
  • shugzshugz Frets: 770
    Hi Paul,

Would love this guitar and thanks for the mention. One of those 'right guitar, wrong time' moments. Irony being I'm pretty much back playing a Les Paul full time once again. Really hope the sacrifice of moving this on is worth it and it goes to a good home.

Best 'o luck to you, hope a deal is done soon,

Cheers
    Hugh
    ourmaninthenorth;704133" said:
    Rich, apart from me, Kev Whatley aka FastKev ( the UK guy who brought it into the UK from WildWood ) and Hayden at Matamp, who played it briefly whilst I was at the factory pissing about with an amp, and the tech who installed the HM inlays,  nobody else has had their greasy mitts on this guitar in the UK since it was imported in 2008.  Usually very generous with my guitars, this one however has not left my sight since I bought it in 2009. 

I was really hoping either Hugh or Stu would have the scratch for it, that's the romantic in me. No disrespect to anyone by that statement by the way - I've just got a real soft spot for these two extraordinary Gentlemen. 

:))

www.proudhoney.com

• Thanks a lot Hugh  ;)