Re-fret on vintage Gibson - Any recommendations?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16829
    Would you drive a 60 year old car with original brake pads?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • shugzshugz Frets: 768
    I regard frets almost as consumables. As others have said, why have an old piece if it's not playable? That said, if you are a collector, originality counts so it's really YMMV on this. Player or collector, you choose :)

Anyhoo, i know that was not the original question. There are many 'safe hands' out there but another vote goes to JXG. He's refretted several old Gibsons for me and every time has worked a miracle. He did an old Gretsch as well and really did turn a nice sounding yet absolute bucket in the ground into a stately mansion with en suite bidet facilities and shag pile carpets. Also good work by Phil at Live as previously mentioned and in the Glasgow area Alan Forsyth is a good lad too.

Best o luck with the jazzbox :)

Cheers
    Hugh

www.proudhoney.com

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5636
    shugz said:
    I regard frets almost as consumables.
    This.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    edited July 2015
    This guitar (just been posted on gbase) has the "original frets in the case".
    Have never seen that before in a vintage guitar sale description.   :)
    And I have seen a few.
    http://www.gbase.com/gear/fender-stratocaster-1959-sunburst-5

• shugzshugz Frets: 768
    I do the same.

Obviously, have no intention of 're-fitting' them but just as its an original part, if i have them, I'd keep with the guitar and give them to the next owner.

Genuinely no big deal, at least from my perspective and guitar would still be sold as a refret etc.

Cheers

Hugh

www.proudhoney.com

• IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6842
    tFB Trader
    shugz said:
    I do the same.

Obviously, have no intention of 're-fitting' them but just as its an original part, if i have them, I'd keep with the guitar and give them to the next owner.

Genuinely no big deal, at least from my perspective and guitar would still be sold as a refret etc.

Cheers

Hugh

As have I. Mainly for, if theres any terrible reason I'm forced to sell it, I can head the inevitable "it's not all original" cork sniffer off at the pass, with a little bag full of useless strips of metal! :-) 
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Someone with proper insurance.